PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install Fails at 59%

golfnut324
April 7th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Help Please! I'm trying to convert but can't install Ubuntu 9.10.

Here's what happens:
Install goes normally until 59% and then always fails with an error code indicating problem with reading or writing to disk. I think it gave a code of "errno 5".

Here's what I've tried:
1) Burned another cd from ISO
2) Downloaded new ISO and burned another cd
3) Tried second cd drive
4) Installed new hard drive
5) Tried to install from live cd desktop
6) Tried to install from cd during boot
7) Tried to install by partitioning first with GParted from live cd desktop (i.e. "swap" "/" and "/home")
8.) Removed one of two ram sticks

Did I mention that same failure occurred when trying to install on another computer? I'm really trying to convert here :)

By the way, Mint installs fine but for some reason I think I want Ubuntu instead.

Any ideas? Do I need to burn ISO to a dvd? Just grasping. Obviously you're dealing with a noob here so please be as detailed as possible.

Thanks for helping.

Craig

sxmaxchine
April 7th, 2010, 12:37 PM
what speed did you burn the iso at try burning it at a lower speed but since you can boot into live desktop i dont think that is your problem

sxmaxchine
April 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM
you might also like to try installing another distro i had trouble installing 9.10 but 9.04 installed perfectly

golfnut324
April 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM
what speed did you burn the iso at try burning it at a lower speed but since you can boot into live desktop i dont think that is your problem

I forgot to mention, I did burn at the lowest speed available to me (10X). Is there a way to burn slower? Would it help? How can I burn slower?

Thanks!

golfnut324
April 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM
you might also like to try installing another distro i had trouble installing 9.10 but 9.04 installed perfectly

Thanks, I have downloaded 9.04. Here's a stupid question: Will I be able to upgrade from 9.04 to 10.04 when it comes out?

Thanks.

sxmaxchine
April 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
you shouldbe able to upgrade when it released and to burn the iso slower would depend on the program you burn it with

golfnut324
April 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Could you point me to program that will let me burn <10x? I used Infrarecorder (Windows) and as I recall I burned one from within the live cd but the slowest burn was still 10x.

sxmaxchine
April 7th, 2010, 01:20 PM
you can try this program (http://www.freeisoburner.com/)

golfnut324
April 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Much thanks for the help. I will concentrate on slower burns. If that doesn't work, I'm burning 9.04 now.

Looking forward to going all Linux with Windows in VirtualBox.

Thanks again for the help!

Craig

golfnut324
April 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Final Update - Problem Solved!

I decided to try burning ISO to a dvd instead of cd. Having a dvd gave option to burn at 4x speed verses minimum of 10x with cd. Ran installation on two computers and all went smoothly. :P Don't know if it was speed or capacity of disk?

If you're having trouble with failed install of ubuntu 9.10, you might want to try.

Thanks for helping.