PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Synesthesia?

spupy
April 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Synesthesia? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia)
This is an interesting subject. It seems lots of people are not aware that it is a known phenomenon and that other people have the same experiences.

There are several types of synesthesia, some more common, some rarer. In the poll I included only the ones that are explained in detail in the wikipedia article. (you can read on the subject in the wiki.)

It's not an 'issue', or illness or something negative like this. Basically, it's a condition where your brain makes funny associations between senses and/or other stuff(but not only limited to senses).
The most common is grapheme->color synesthesia. It means having an involuntary but consistent association of a color to each letter/number. For example, feeling that the letter "D" is brown.

Grapheme->color (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia#Grapheme_.E2.86.92_color_synesthesia) is easy to explain - colored letters/number etc. (On a side note, I think that the color of the Ubuntu logo is very fitting. The word "ubuntu" is colored the same way, because it starts with "u", and I think that "u" is orange-red colored.)

numbers forms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_form) means having a visual representation of numbers, periods of time, etc. It's not "Ok I imagine this calendar", but more like "I think about the year and this strange calendar-like circle thing always pops up".
Now, number forms are harder to explain, because in most cases they are 3-dimensional and pen and paper are not fitting for a their drawing.
For the year I have this vaguely ellipse-shaped line. Unfortunately some months look longer than others (the summer ones are longer), and I can't change it. :???: It's very frustrating since I misjudge some periods of time in the year.
The forms that I imagine for time and the number line are strange tapes with couple of turns and thresholds, and they come from the infinity and go to the infinity. For some reason, the most prominent thresholds are located at the years 1900, 1990 and 2000.

What's in your brain? :)

kellemes
April 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
nope.. have a bunch of other 'issues' but not this one.
Getting tired just reading the explanation of what synesthesia is, let alone having it. Correct me if I'm wrong.. ;-)

spupy
April 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
nope.. have a bunch of other 'issues' but not this one.
Getting tired just reading the explanation of what synesthesia is, let alone having it. Correct me if I'm wrong.. ;-)

It's not an 'issue'. Basically, it's a condition where your brain makes funny associations between senses and/or other stuff(but not only limited to senses).
The most common is grapheme->color synesthesia. It means having an involuntary association of a color to each letter/number. For example, feeling that the letter "D" is brown.

Luffield
April 7th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I don't have it, but I have a synesthetic friend and her stories are pretty amazing.
Very curious to see the poll results later on.

spupy
April 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I don't have it, but I have a synesthetic friend and her stories are pretty amazing.
Very curious to see the poll results later on.

What type is she? According to wikipedia, the prevalence is 1 in 23 persons, but the rarer ones make the amazing stories. Colored letters is more common and not that interesting.

koleoptero
April 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I think I have a strong case of number form synaesthesia. wow. I can relate to the elliptic calendar thing, which happens not only when thinking about the year, but also for the days of the week and the hours of the day etc... I don't know how many of these representations are due to me studying math though.