PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Regarding Ubuntu 9.10

alok_anil
April 7th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu 9.10 to Dell Inspiron 14". It got stuck after first step.
Configuration of my laptop is as follow

intel core i3 processor, 4GB DDR3 RAMm
(does it support for above config.?)

i am having windows 7 ultimate as an operating System right now and i am new at ubuntu so please help me to sort out this problem..

thank u...

lisati
April 7th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the first step.

Are you trying to install Ubuntu from a CD?

miegiel
April 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by the first step.

Are you trying to install Ubuntu from a CD?

i am having Dell inspiron 14 with core i3 processor and 4 GB DDR3 RAM and i want to install ubuntu 9.10 on it but i am not able do so,

while installing it from graphics mode it stuk after 2nd step which is
"select installation type "
which consists of
try ubuntu without making change to system
install ubuntu
and so on...

any one of these option is not working and i had also tried text based installation but it also not working is the processor is compatible with the ubuntu 9.10

when i was tried text based it get completed but while i choose ubuntu to boot or to run it does not work.

give me some help to fix this problem..

thank you!

Thought I'd ad the info posted in another thread ;)

miegiel
April 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Some thoughts:

There are a lot of dell inspiron 14" laptops. So if you think your trouble is related to your hardware you need to be more specific.
It seems your laptop is a pretty new model (core i3). Since hardware manufactures don't really care much about the 2% of us linux users, installing linux on the latest hardware can be a bumpy ride. While windows users get all their hardware bugs fixed for them before the hardware is released, we need to wait till one of us has bought the hardware and only then find out what works and what doesn't. For example: the chip-set (which connects the CPU, memory and all other components with each other) on my laptop was only released by intel a month or 2 before I bought my laptop. At that moment the released version of ubuntu was 9.04 and a lot of stuff didn't work properly yet. With the next and current ubuntu version (9.10) alot, but not all, of the bumps had been ironed out. I'm now test driving the coming ubuntu version (10.04) which will be released in a about 3 weeks. And there are only 2 minor bumps left (regarding my hardware, not counting general bugs), the internal microphone and suspend don't work out of the box, but can be fixed easily. So as long as the problem you have is a problem other people with the same (new) hardware have too, there is light at the end of the tunnel. When all your attempts to install ubuntu 9.10 fail, try it again a few weeks after 10.04 is released. And if that brings no relief, give ubuntu 10.10 a shot coming november.
There are several ways of installing ubuntu. You really need to be as specific as you can. For example there are 2 common ways to install ubuntu, inside windows (wubi install) and on it's own partition(s). And there are several ubuntu CD images to install from. It also can make a difference if you boot from the installation CD or if you start the installation from inside windows. Different people will have experience with different methods and CD images.