PDA

View Full Version : What Will Happen If...

Khakilang
April 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
...all the iceberg from the Artic and Antartica melt. Will it flood the entire land mass until there is no land left? How will mankind live? What will we eat? Lastly how do we survive?

Share your imagination folks and maybe you can write a book about it.:lolflag:

nmccrina
April 7th, 2010, 05:51 AM
The penguins will be gone. :(

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 7th, 2010, 05:53 AM
There's an in depth documentary about this that uses scientific evidence to show what will happen to man as a result of the melting of the polar ice caps. It's quite shocking. The documentary is called Waterworld.

cascade9
April 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Aside from the enviromental damage, its interesting-

If you melt just the north pole, the sea levels drop, not increase. However, melting Antartica will lead to some pretty huge sea level rises.....and with most of the world population at not that far above sea level, and the majority of the worlds major cities on the coast, or at low levels, what you get is anarchy.

Not the 'I stuck a safety pin though my nose and got a mohawk' anarchy, or the 'I think that goverments should be abolished' anarchy either. Totaly meltdown of civilisation anarchy.

sxmaxchine
April 7th, 2010, 06:08 AM
we wil be flooded and die unless we learn to grow gills

-humanaut-
April 7th, 2010, 06:12 AM
%

cascade9
April 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
we wil be flooded and die unless we learn to grow gills

Its not that bad, the worst case projections are normally about 80m higher than today-

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:E9cIBD8vfQgJ:www.smith.edu/libraries/research/class/idp108USGS_99.pdf+maximum+%22sea+level%22&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShwflfok4aa75zOUfEHrqLFcOQLJMhGT_w96ck4 BFogmQghNbgn5lsDNRZQTt16AIPQ0Iv7pEexVNQJCW_MlJ0Pkh na2BoYf8zaWehYlYxuPfdjUmDftdcxXh3OhJs2qY-VjYui&sig=AHIEtbSg1FHd87BvuPKnxPgkmpnT_WTUAw

tica vun
April 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
...all the iceberg from the Artic and Antartica melt. Will it flood the entire land mass until there is no land left? How will mankind live? What will we eat? Lastly how do we survive?

Share your imagination folks and maybe you can write a book about it.:lolflag:

The global water levels would rise by about 20 metres. This would consume less than 1% of the existing landmass.

J V
April 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
And you're all forgetting the iceage, after the caps melt the atlantic current gets interupted and the whole world freezes!

Oh please, I live 20M below and if the water floods stuff, the sats that support my internet will be out of harms way... No biggie :)

aklo
April 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Not the entire world will submerge underwater

Low lying area are at the highest risk.

It won't happen in our life time anyway so i don't care:guitar:

sdowney717
April 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
And you're all forgetting the iceage, after the caps melt the atlantic current gets interupted and the whole world freezes!

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1262096/Global-warming-slowing-Gulf-Stream.html

actually that is a myth.

The Gulf Stream-European climate myth
The panic is based on a long held belief of the British, other Europeans, Americans and, indeed, much of the world's population that the northward heat transport by the Gulf Stream is the reason why western Europe enjoys a mild climate, much milder than, say, that of eastern North America. This idea was actually originated by an American military man, Matthew Fontaine Maury, in the mid nineteenth century and has stuck since despite the absence of proof.

We now know this is a myth, the climatological equivalent of an urban legend. In a detailed study published in the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society in 2002, we demonstrated the limited role that ocean heat transport plays in determining regional climates around the Atlantic Ocean. A popular version of this story can be found here.

Endomancer
April 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM
If the sea levels rise by 20m as mentioned here, then the house behind mine would be a beach front property and I wont have as far to walk for a swim. Not that I got far to walk now

Sporkman
April 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Ubuntu will consume weaker distros to survive!

kvant
April 7th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Al Gore will no longer be able to write his books and film his movies...

Is that good or bad?

Dragonbite
April 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
The global water levels would rise by about 20 metres. This would consume less than 1% of the existing landmass.

The question is, where would the "new" waterfront property be so can buy it up now while it's cheap?!!

Sporkman
April 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Al Gore will no longer be able to write his books and film his movies...

Is that good or bad?

Politics.

cespinal
April 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Yup, keeping in mind that 70% of the population occupies this landmass.

Of course we would survive something like this, but at a very high costs. Common poverty, hunger, mass migrations and food production issues we suffer today would be exponentially grown.

We would have to gradually move our cities inland, leaving the original ones surely abandoned for what we know humanity does to the resources it consumes.

Sunken cities and near shore flooded ones could become wastelands with cyberpunks and hipnotoads ruling t ALL HAIL THE HIPNOTOAD

fouserge
April 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
There's an in depth documentary about this that uses scientific evidence to show what will happen to man as a result of the melting of the polar ice caps. It's quite shocking. The documentary is called Waterworld.

Oh my...

I've heard Waterworld called many things but I must say, documentary is not one of them.

:lolflag:

Dragonbite
April 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Yup, keeping in mind that 70% of the population occupies this landmass.

Of course we would survive something like this, but at a very high costs. Common poverty, hunger, mass migrations and food production issues we suffer today would be exponentially grown.

We would have to gradually move our cities inland, leaving the original ones surely abandoned for what we know humanity does to the resources it consumes.

Sunken cities and near shore flooded ones could become wastelands with cyberpunks and hipnotoads ruling t ALL HAIL THE HIPNOTOAD

Atlantis?

Swagman
April 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM
My house will become a des res by the seaside

yay !!

Now we just need moor sun (we're working on that issue)
Fire up those V8's lads

agnes
April 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM
After the flood the survivors could live on boats. Schools, shops etc. on boats... That could be nice.

Anyway... there would only be a flood if people would not want to, or not be able to anticipate. That would also depend on how fast all the icebergs would melt. A rise in sea level of 35.4 cm a year and some hard work and my region would survive.

I think so because: the best coast dikes (delta works) in Holland (in the south) can take care of water 7.65 meters above sea level, and the north sea along the coast has a sea level of around 0. It took around 35 years to make.
Based on this you could say that making them safe for water of, say, 20 meters above sea level would cost 91.35 years = 56,35 years extra. So to stay dry, the water increase should only come at 0.354 meters (35,4 cm) a year.
Highest current sea level rises are estimated at 3.1 ± 0.7 mm a year says Wiki.

steveneddy
April 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM
My house in Fort Worth, Texas will finally be beach front property!

Sweet!

And I love to fish.

ZarathustraDK
April 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
If the icebergs melted like *boom* then a lot of people would obviously die.

When the icebergs disappear there'll be less reflective surface for the sun, and so the Earth will become a quite a bit warmer. The warmer weather will cause increased evaporation of ocean-water, which in turn will result in much more violent storms.

All I can say for sure is: we'll arrive at some equillibrium where the amount of surviving humans' emissions are outbalanced by the environments ability to reprocess it, but not before suffering the negative feedback of breaking that balance. ;)

Of course, all these things will happen with a great degree of overlap.

Dragonbite
April 7th, 2010, 06:09 PM
If the icebergs melted like *boom* then a lot of people would obviously die.

When the icebergs disappear there'll be less reflective surface for the sun, and so the Earth will become a quite a bit warmer. The warmer weather will cause increased evaporation of ocean-water, which in turn will result in much more violent storms.

All I can say for sure is: we'll arrive at some equillibrium where the amount of surviving humans' emissions are outbalanced by the environments ability to reprocess it, but not before suffering the negative feedback of breaking that balance. ;)

Of course, all these things will happen with a great degree of overlap.

Couldn't the increased evaporation then produce more cloud cover, increasing the reflectivity again and allowing the atmosphere to cool? Eventually things could cool down enough to allow ice to re-form over the polar caps?

doas777
April 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM
its better than the zombpocalypse. at least then you wouldn't have to deal with the zombies as well when you are running for your life.

sdowney717
April 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Couldn't the increased evaporation then produce more cloud cover, increasing the reflectivity again and allowing the atmosphere to cool? Eventually things could cool down enough to allow ice to re-form over the polar caps?

yes, more clouds makes for cooler planet.
The earth has balance plan, people talk about the 'tipping point' to stir the pot and gain funding.

Not only that but more co2 equals greater plant growth, so better food production. The medieval warming period of Europe early 1000 AD was a good time to grow things. And the norse people even lived and farmed Greenland for a short time. Then it got cold again. People just like to hear horrendous and scandalous stories of doom and gloom which fiction writers and movies love to exploit.

Dragonbite
April 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM
yes, more clouds makes for cooler planet.
The earth has balance plan, people talk about the 'tipping point' to stir the pot and gain funding.

Not only that but more co2 equals greater plant growth, so better food production. The medieval warming period of Europe early 1000 AD was a good time to grow things. And the norse people even lived and farmed Greenland for a short time. Then it got cold again. People just like to hear horrendous and scandalous stories of doom and gloom which fiction writers and movies love to exploit.

Well, the earth may have a correction plan, but that doesn't mean humans have the ability to survive it.

Maybe we need to go to the Moon and give the Earth a vacation before returning and ripping out her resources again!?

cespinal
April 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM
All hail the hypnotoad

J V
April 7th, 2010, 11:34 PM
actually that is a myth.
Like the rest of this thread? "Studies" show that in the last 5 years the temperature has dropped (Besides that the sun recently stopped having its "High season" of flares, so every-thing's likely to cool down fast over a while now...)

Studies also show 85% of statistics are made up on the spot...

oldsoundguy
April 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM
For those that have NOT seen it or those that insist the climate change is not upon us (melting of the tundra north of the Arctic Circle and many other indicators such as early thaw and late freeze and the fact that SHIPS can now navigate the North West Passage so long sought after!)

This is a sobering National Geographic series that was just recently re-run in the US

Some excerpts:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/six-degrees-could-change-the-world-3188/Overview

simpleblue
April 8th, 2010, 12:43 AM
There are companies that contribute greatly to global warming. They have billions and they spend millions on PR to greenwash people into thinking that global warming is a myth so people won't be afraid to buy their products.

http://www.prwatch.org/fakenews2/vnr40

http://www.polluterwatch.com/

You can be sure that a company with full pockets has little room for caring about the environment.

One of the best documentaries I've seen concerning this is called, "The Corporation" which can be watched on my link below.

It's horrible how deceiving these companies can be.