PDA

View Full Version : trying to redefine keyboard chars

v1nsai
April 7th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I just got a new Dell laptop that has the stupid multimedia keys/function keys that can toggle between the two with the fn key. I've got it set to be the function keys by default naturally, but I set the F7-F12 keys to be media keys using Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts because I don't use those keys often.

Occasionally, I do want em though, so it'd be really nice to be able to push ctrl+F-whatever and it'd be the same as me pushing F-whatever. I'm not sure what level to attack it at though, like is this going to require some kernel hacking or is there a nice convenient GNOME interface for modifying keys like that?

kahootbot
April 8th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Hmm.. I think I recall seeing something once where an english teacher was using charector sets not on the keyboard and had to map it.. I think they used something called xbindkeys

I guess it partially depends on what you want to use it with. Like with individual applications if hotkeys aren't editable or for some reason you wanted to bind your own hotkeys, you would have reason to bind them..

Check this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318622

if it don't hold your answer try to look up "mapping keys". Sorry, but it's just something I never got much into.. It shouldn't require anything deep like kernal hacking to do.

v1nsai
April 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM
The thing that's kind of tripping me up is how to word the command. You can use Preferences > Keyboard to map commands to keyboard, but what command is invoked by F11? And what F11 does changes depending on what process has focus.