PDA

View Full Version : Do you know anyone who spends 6-10 hours a day on Facebook.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Literately anytime they are not at work, or school they are on Facebook. They won't go for walks, they won't play basketball with their friends anymore. They eat at their desk as they're facebooking. If you tell them you're going to block it they threaten to run away, or leave or flip out in some other way. When you try to talk to them they just stare into the monitor, and ignore you. They sit there all day, and narrate it as if anyone else in the room actually cares about it. When they meet new people the first thing they do is ask them if they're on facebook. If some one calls them they won't answer the phone, they say if he/she wants to talk to me they can use facebook. Have you ever seen or heard of anything this ridiculous? What would you do if someone you knew acted like this?

-grubby
April 7th, 2010, 02:43 AM
You already had a thread on this, but as the closing mod said: get professional help. It's an addiction and I doubt the internet will help you much with it.

CharlesA
April 7th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Thankfully I don't know anyone that obsessed with it. I do know some people who are obsessed with WoW tho..

I said earlier that I usually have it open, but for the most part it's in one of the background tabs or windows and I hardly look at it unless I am chatting or get an email about a reply/post.

That being said, I do have some friends that are app-a-holics. Farmville, Mafia Wars, you name it. *shakes head*

@-grubby: It's a general question this time, not talking about a specific person.

chris200x9
April 7th, 2010, 02:44 AM
"delete" their facebook, I'm pretty sure you can deactivate and reactivate somehow. I delete it tell them its gone and after they go through withdrawl so they don't hate you forever get it back. Then they might have kicked the habbit but still can use it. Or it could go, you: "I deleted your facebook" them: *tries to kill you* you:"joly crap, its not gone!" either way you are not dead.

Giant Speck
You already had a thread on this, but as the closing mod said: get professional help. It's an addiction and I doubt the internet will help you much with it.

Oh, snap!

Lightstar
I could easily spend 6+ hours a day doing martial arts if I could. Or in school learning.

Addiction is fine as long as it doesn't cause harm.

The only point in living is doing what we enjoy. Let them.

v1ad
April 7th, 2010, 02:45 AM
block it through the router, they whine spank them. or run a key logger program and delete their account, you don't know anything about it .... keep deleting their new accounts every other month eventually they will be weened out, facebook server error.

swoll1980
April 7th, 2010, 02:45 AM

This is a completely different thread. This has nothing to do with my first thread that no longer exist. I already talked to the real mod about it. and we came to an agreement on how to reopen it. Because you are trying to modererate the forum out of boredom. It will probably get closed again. Thanks for your assistance.

CharlesA
April 7th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Why are you trying to modererate the forum? Are you that bored?

Ubuntuforums is srsbsns.

I think I got that right...

dominiquec
April 7th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I deleted my Facebook and got off my other social networks. Now, I have more time to study, read, write, and exercise (plus some quality time with the fine folks at Ubuntu forums).

handy
April 7th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I often spend 6-10 hours a day involved in forums.

Same thing really.

Though I am retired from work, & there are health related variables that may mitigate the situation somewhat.

[Edit:]
If I could I'd much rather be outside working/playing hard physically.

chappajar
April 7th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Sounds like someone I would stay away from.
If that isn't enough to get them to want to beat their addiction then you are probably better off not being around them.

Or try an intervention of friends and family who agree with you...

Veteropinguis
April 7th, 2010, 03:04 AM
(I saw your previous thread, I hope you guys resolve this.)

Anyone who's displaying that kind of behavior (it could be about Facebook, or WoW, or knitting, or learning Russian, or the Ubuntu Forums, etc) has some serious problems that need to be talked about.

Said person is hiding in FB. Something is bothering her that she doesn't want to talk about. Has anything troubling happened recently? Anything stressful. Problems at work, school, with family members? Even if an argument or something seems petty on the surface it can have some pretty devastating, unseen psychological effects.

It is one thing to waste a lot of time on the Internet, but if someone's normal daily function is being disrupted (i.e giving up hobbies like basketball, never leaving the computer even to eat) then there is a problem.

Cutting off contact except through FB is rather telling. My two cents is that this person is feeling threatened or rejected somehow. Through FB she can project any image she chooses. However talking in person means that she loses an element of control over how people see her. She probably threatened to run away because if you blocked FB you would take away what she sees as the only safe way to interact with the world. I'm not a therapist or psychologist or anything, so remember that free advice is worth what you paid for it.

Try connecting to her on her turf. Maybe start messaging her on FB? Just ask how she's feeling, let her know you're worried about her, that kind of thing. If she gets abrasive and pushes you away, try to let it roll off your back and keep being nice to her. If she gets downright abusive you don't have to take that, but if she lashes out in fear, well, try to be there for her. She might be hard to deal with at first but if you keep at it you may well be able to help her. (As I said if she gets abusive, get out of there and take care of yourself.)

If her school has some sort of counselor you might try getting in touch with that person and seeing where you could get some free or low-cost help.

Just my two cents.

Khakilang
April 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I don't know how many hours I spend on Facebook because I have several forum and website open at the same time but I know I spend 4 to 6 hour on my computer.

Kdar
April 7th, 2010, 05:19 AM
There are people who break up because one of them changes their Facebook status :P

Thats just weird to me.
----
@Veteropinguis
Whats wrong with learning Russian? :lolflag:
You are offending my patriotic feelings, man. Its great language :)
There is nothing bad in learning any language or culture.

NovaAesa
April 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I used to use facebawk too much, so I deleted it. Try www.suicidemachine.org

Swagman
April 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah me.

That doesn't mean I'm staring at the home page all the time, I'm playing Castle age, Mafia Wars, Kingdoms of Camelot etc.

MichealH
April 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Literately anytime they are not at work, or school they are on Facebook. They won't go for walks, they won't play basketball with their friends anymore. They eat at their desk as they're facebooking. If you tell them you're going to block it they threaten to run away, or leave or flip out in some other way. When you try to talk to them they just stare into the monitor, and ignore you. They sit there all day, and narrate it as if anyone else in the room actually cares about it. When they meet new people the first thing they do is ask them if they're on facebook. If some one calls them they won't answer the phone, they say if he/she wants to talk to me they can use facebook. Have you ever seen or heard of anything this ridiculous? What would you do if someone you knew acted like this?

Hey, I do all of them! Facebook is my Master I have the Chat open all day with regular restarts throughout the day... I am on between aroung 7AM and Is off around 10PM Ok even I need to do some of this:

brb lol wuu2 wtf? OMG! OMFG! ROFL!

Sorry about that. :oops:

EDIT: I wont delete it otherwise I die or have so many arguments/fights... Not THATS addiction

sandyd
April 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
i dont really use facebook... at all... its just there, so I can use it if I really need to. otherwise, i spend my time working on my website & on twitter. (i spend approx 6-7h on my computer every day, due to the fact that my job requires me to stare at a computer. but then again, unless theirs something i need to work on at my job, my employer doesnt care about me browsing the web....

holes88
April 7th, 2010, 04:59 PM
yes, yes ubuntu forums are srs bsns

whiskeylover
April 7th, 2010, 05:08 PM
In my times, a tight slap across the face of the kid was enough to take care of minor issues like this.

But now you can't hit your kid, I hear.

Doctor Mike
April 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
You might want to ask yourself if there are other things in the life of the user that may contribute to a desire to escape...

Also:

Is this 'addiction' adaptive or do you see it causing harm?

If you believe there's harm being done, consult a professional yourself to get advise on how to proceed. In the meantime avoid direct confrontation. It might make the situation worse.