PDA

View Full Version : So I downloaded 10.4 today

TheNessus
April 6th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I burned it and rebooted.

I have to say, a nice purple wallpaper indeed. After that I saw a blank gray square. It is a very stable release; it stood motionless until I hit the power button. remarkable release. A repeat download and burning with different programs yielded the same result. I think I'll stay with good 'ol karmic, even after lynx is official :-\

leandromartinez98
April 6th, 2010, 11:32 PM

I have to say, a nice purple wallpaper indeed. After that I saw a blank gray square. It is a very stable release; it stood motionless until I hit the power button. remarkable release. A repeat download and burning with different programs yielded the same result. I think I'll stay with good 'ol karmic, even after lynx is official :-\

If you have a ATI graphic card, you may have this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/509273

It has already a patch, but the fix is not yet released. It will
be until final release though.

TheNessus
April 6th, 2010, 11:34 PM
If you have a ATI graphic card, you may have this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/509273

It has already a patch, but the fix is not yet released. It will
be until final release though.
Nvidia here, 8400. :-\

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 6th, 2010, 11:34 PM
So far the Beta of Lynx has been as stable for me as most release versions.

Can't comment on cd install because I forgot that I'd just purchased a whole stack of them and went about installing it from USB as I'm used to.

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Always make sure you check for errors. You have to hit escape when the purple screen with white icons at the bottom appears.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 6th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Always make sure you check for errors. You have to hit escape when the purple screen with white icons at the bottom appears.
Or enter (if you're talking about the screen that comes up after you finish installing before it reboots). That's how Karmic was for me also though...and many linux distros.

TheNessus
April 6th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I dunno. all I saw was the new ubuntu logo with loading-buttons beneath it. after that, the purple background with a blank gray window, supposedly a real window that got stuck in the process. Vent hit high, I imagine CPU usage 100%. nothing worked. No error possible since I burned at lowest speed and with both gnome and kde's burn progs, with data verification.

Eclipse.
April 6th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Why not help fix your problems by reporting bugs and helping the developers fix them?

TheNessus
April 6th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Why not help fix your problems by reporting bugs and helping the developers fix them?
I'd do that. Can't quite get a bug report up when the whole system simply doesn't even start though. As for a general description, that's what I gave here. Yes, it is not the right place, I'll do it, later.

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Anything is possible. I hope you find a resolution though.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 6th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Anything is possible. I hope you find a resolution though.This. I used to think that Ubuntu was no good because every time I tried to run it on my laptop I had errors. Turns out I had some crappy firmware from my cd-rom drive that was causing all sorts of problems. I updated my firmware and I've never had a problem since.

TheNessus
April 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM
This. I used to think that Ubuntu was no good because every time I tried to run it on my laptop I had errors. Turns out I had some crappy firmware from my cd-rom drive that was causing all sorts of problems. I updated my firmware and I've never had a problem since.

Very true. I bought a laptop last year, with 9.4 it was hell, nothing worked right, not even backlight buttons. But Karmic made it a dream, everything worked 100%, and I got to love my crappy lappy. I ofc have hope that all will be well with lynx when it comes out. I'm just venting, hope you don't mind. :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Of course not. I just don't want you to lose hope (unless you want to lol). :lolflag:

techunit
April 7th, 2010, 12:10 AM
If your problem is you insert your CD and you emediately see a purple slash and then a grey screen make sure that you don't have obscure hardware like a wierd graphics card or a really old processor.

The CD firmware is the probable cause. I had the same problem when I couldn't boot the 8.10 CD I had ordered from ubuntu.com (I got it free btw). I could get to the boot menu where it gives you options to try or install ubuntu and when I clicked try I couldn't get any farther because I got a grey screen. If your hardware is older then this is probably the case. Try going to the manufaturers website and download the newest firmware.

bash
April 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM

Wrong forum. Probably better suited in the Lucid Lynx Testing Forum. And if there is a bug file or if the bug already exist check it and see if you might be able to contribute something to it. You are using unstable after all so brokeness of any sort should within the expected.

cariboo
April 7th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Your problem is pretty common, it's gone on for several releases. Use safe graphics mode, and you should have no problem. Safe graphics mode has been changed to F6 and select nomodeset. Try it you'll like it. :)

techunit
April 7th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Your problem is pretty common, it's gone on for several releases. Use safe graphics mode, and you should have no problem. Safe graphics mode has been changed to F6 and select nomodeset. Try it you'll like it. :)

I agree. This is probably your best bet. I makes alot more sence than what happened to me. Plus... but the 10.04 is out in only 23 days. so I would advise you wait. There will probably be more bugs fixed and more stable working environment. At the least wait for Ubuntu 10.04 beta 2 which should be out any day now. Good Luck

techunit
April 7th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Very true. I bought a laptop last year, with 9.4 it was hell, nothing worked right, not even backlight buttons. But Karmic made it a dream, everything worked 100%, and I got to love my crappy lappy. I ofc have hope that all will be well with lynx when it comes out. I'm just venting, hope you don't mind. :)

That is quite funny.... Everything always worked for me with X.04 releases and nothing worked with x.10 releases. I don't know, but I don't install x.10 releases anymore.

TheNessus
April 7th, 2010, 04:01 AM
it worked, and I succesfully installed it!

However, once I booted to the new install, and got the famous ubuntu tribal drums... it got stuck at the ubuntu logo. very stable :P
oh well, back to karmic.

cariboo
April 7th, 2010, 05:29 AM
If you check the Lucid Testing & Discussion (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377) sub-forum, your problems could be solved pretty quickly.

ubun2warrior
April 7th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I downloaded lucid lynx a few weeks back but it does not give boot speed of 10 sec as it is said. Maybe its because it is betA

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 7th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I downloaded lucid lynx a few weeks back but it does not give boot speed of 10 sec as it is said. Maybe its because it is betA
I'm not seeing it either. It is pretty fast though.

cariboo
April 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM

The 10 second boot is for a netbook with an SSD hard drive. This desktop system I'm using boots in a little over 15 seconds, and my netbook with sata hard drive boots in just under 14 seconds, it almost seems it takes longer to come out of hibernation, than it does to boot.

NightwishFan
April 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
For me hibernation takes probably ten seconds longer. My boot is not as fast as Jaunty, but its not slower than Karmic.

TheNessus
April 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Ok, I cheated: I re-installed Kubuntu 9.10 and then distro-upgraded to 10.4. Works like a dream. I don't want to screw it up, however, by installing Ubuntu-Desktop, since it must be as buggy as the installation of it.