PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi distro update supported?

coderunner
April 6th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Hi,

Does Wubi support updating the distro version inside a Wubi install of Linux? I tried updating from 9.10 to 10.04 within a Wubi install and everything was going fine until the update process was detecting installed operating systems (it started looping infinitely on a memtest86+ installation found). I have a machine that I would like to install through Wubi instead of a direct install. Was this just a problem because 10.04 is still in beta? Can I expect distro updates to work fine in the future?

Thanks.

coderunner
April 7th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Let me clarify...I'm not necessarily asking for a fix right now. I'm wondering if, in theory, is updating distros the "normal" way supported in an Ubuntu install through Wubi using the same method as you normally use to update a distro through a native direct Ubuntu install? I didn't see any mention of this as a limitation on the Wubi site, but wondering if I missed it.

Thanks again.

ssulaco
April 7th, 2010, 01:51 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Upgrading

coderunner
April 7th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Looks like I was looking at all the wrong places! Thanks for the link.

ssulaco
April 7th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I was Thinking of doing an LTS upgrade(Wubi) from Hardy to Lucid at Hardy's EOL(if possible).....will hate to let Hardy go..:)

uRock
April 7th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I was Thinking of doing an LTS upgrade(Wubi) from Hardy to Lucid at Hardy's EOL(if possible).....will hate to let Hardy go..:)

Hardy will be supported until 11.04 releases, so you don't have to upgrade yet if you do not want to. Lucid does have a lot of good things to offer.

Cheers,
Ronnie

ssulaco
April 7th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Lucid does have a lot of good things to offer.

Thats what I'm hearing,I will probably stick with the LTS.I like the 3 year cycle.and if Lucid is as stable as Hardy on my machine,That will be great.