PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help with installation

Augustine325
April 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hi all

After a little while reading around I finally tool the plunge and thought i'd give Ubuntu a go. I've downloaded 9.10, created a live disc and booted up. But I've ground to a halt at the log in screen. I've tried to just press enter but get an 'authentication failure' msg. I can't esc off the screen. I'm stuck. And I'm having to write this on my phone.

Can you help?

Thansk

quadproc
April 6th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hi all

After a little while reading around I finally tool the plunge and thought i'd give Ubuntu a go. I've downloaded 9.10, created a live disc and booted up. But I've ground to a halt at the log in screen. I've tried to just press enter but get an 'authentication failure' msg. I can't esc off the screen. I'm stuck.
Are you running from the live disk?
Have you installed the release yet?

It sounds as though you have installed the release and created at least one user and its associated password, and you need to give these to the login screen when it asks.

If you have not installed the release to hard disk and you are running the Live CD then it will not ask you for a user ID or a password; your session will be run as root.

It might help us if you furnished more detail such as kind of computer, how much RAM, and how much disk is in it.

quadproc

lisati
April 6th, 2010, 10:54 PM
As quadproc has said, the "live" CD doesn't normally ask for a username/password. I've heard that sometimes this can happen if it's a bad burn or there's a problem with the downloaded copy of ISO file.

Two things to try:

From the disk menu, run "check disk for errors"
At the login screen, use the username "ubuntu" and a blank passord.