PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install 9.10 Desktop on SATA drive

kphill
April 6th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I am new to Ubuntu although I have used another Linux version for several years. I wanted to try Ubuntu after a couple of people recommended it to me.

I am trying to install 9.10 Desktop, i386, on a 500GB SATA drive. The computer uses AMD dual-core processors. I can't remember the type of motherboard off-hand; it might be an Abit. The drive has been zero-filled from previous installations of other operating systems. (I have also tried installing the 64-bit version. When I try this, I get a black screen with the cursor blinking in the top left-hand corner for several minutes before the screen goes blank. In this situation, the harddrive light stays lit continuously as if the drive is stuck.)

When I boot the computer I get the screen to choose the language. Then I get the screen for the various options (run without changing the computer, install, etc.). When I hit "Install", I get a screen with the Ubuntu logo in white which "pulses". After a few minutes of this the screen goes completely blank and there is no more activity. I have tried choosing other options without success.

I just wondered if there were any known issues with installing Ubuntu on SATA drives or if this is being caused by some other issue.

Thanks very much.

goldshirt9
April 6th, 2010, 08:17 PM
i had a similar problem.
i couldn't install unless i ran the live cd and then booted from the desktop option.
no idea why but it worked for me.
i have similar spec to you so try that.

if you cannot run into the live desktop then burn at a slower rate

oldfred
April 6th, 2010, 08:29 PM
First does BIOS see the drive? One user said he did not have it on, but I did not know there was such a setting, but it could be just setting it to IDE. The new versions seem to follow BIOS settings more where older versions and windows may have ignored them and worked anyway.

quadproc
April 6th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I just wondered if there were any known issues with installing Ubuntu on SATA drives or if this is being caused by some other issue.

Thanks very much.
The system that I am using right now is running Ubuntu 9.10 with three internal SATA drives and sometimes one external eSATA drive. Additionally, this system has a "catchall" IO device that uses SATA to communicate with the mother board. The only problem that I have had was with a Buffalo external drive which doesn't work on its SATA port but that problem was with that hardware; I switched to a generic USB/eSATA housing and a WD disk(and scrapped the Buffalo hardware) and have had no problems with the eSATA since then.

Edit: The white Ubuntu logo which fades brighter and dimmer is normal. This lasts for a few seconds on this system and then the startup proceeds.

I have read of similar problems to yours so searching the web for your system's symptoms might yield some useful data.

quadproc

kphill
April 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Some new information: I burned new disks using the slowest speed I could. I still cannot install nor can I run it as a Live CD (the same disk *will* run as Live CD on my laptop which uses Windows XP and is an Intel system). The BIOS of the computer on which I have been attempting to load Ubuntu has settings for "Auto" detection of harddrives or "None". I have tried both ways and neither work. Yes, the BIOS does see the harddrive but it does apparently list it as IDE. It sounds as if this may be a BIOS issue or hardware incompatibility. I had trouble with newer versions of Fedora and finally had to set the BIOS to *not* automatically detect the harddrive. Older versions (before 10) ran fine.