PDA

View Full Version : installing New hard drive?

soryu
April 6th, 2010, 06:21 AM
any tips on installing a new hard drive?
i've had this one for 10yrs.time for an upgrade.
it's a IDE interface.

haddog
April 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM
any tips on installing a new hard drive?
i've had this one for 10yrs.time for an upgrade.
it's a IDE interface.

Clone the old drive to the new one with clonezilla. Has always worked for me without fail.

haddog
April 6th, 2010, 07:38 AM
CClone old drive to new one with clonezilla.

handy
April 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM
What the other two posters said.

Clonezilla is great, download it & burn the bootable CD.

Grenage
April 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Clonezilla or dd via a liveCD. I tend to use dd myself, but Clonezilla is a lot simpler.

Paqman
April 6th, 2010, 09:06 AM
time for an upgrade.

Time for an SSD then (assuming you've got a SATA port on the board)

Khakilang
April 6th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I think the IDE interface hard disk is still available but its more costly due to low demand. But if you can get a PCI SATA interface adapter to plug into your computer PCI slot than you can get a SATA hard disk. The performance is much better that IDE.

handy
April 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Clonezilla or dd via a liveCD. I tend to use dd myself, but Clonezilla is a lot simpler.

Clonezilla uses dd for certain file systems, & as you say, it is much simpler which makes it a lot harder to make a potentially costly mistake.

Paqman
April 6th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The performance is much better that IDE.

Actually, for traditional magnetic hard drives performance is the same between IDE and SATA. You need a seriously fast drive to exceed the speed of the IDE interface. SSDs will do it, which is why they're all SATA.

The Real Dave
April 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
If your mobo doesn't have a SATA interface, which it probably doesn't, get yourself a SATA PCI card, a cheap one will do fine, rather then buying a large IDE drive.

IDE drives are more expensive per GB than SATA, and SATA drives come in much larger capacities. :)

And clone the old one just in case. Clonezilla is the best thing out there :)

haddog
April 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Agreed on just getting a SATA PCI card if your computer doesn't have a SATA interface. I have an old Dell Dimension 2350 that I put a SATA PCI card in. Put Ubuntu Server 10.04 on it.

Now has a 300 Gig SATA hard drive and an 80 gig IDE. Works great. Backed up the Server to a 1TB usb drive using Clonezilla LiveCD.

Tutorial on using clonezilla:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/free_imaging_software.html

handy
April 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM
If your mobo doesn't have a SATA interface, which it probably doesn't, get yourself a SATA PCI card, a cheap one will do fine, rather then buying a large IDE drive.

IDE drives are more expensive per GB than SATA, and SATA drives come in much larger capacities. :)

And clone the old one just in case. Clonezilla is the best thing out there :)

You don't need a SATA card, you can buy a cheap adapter that plugs in between the SATA drive & the IDE cable, I use these myself, & they work fine.

thekanuk
April 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM
WoW!

This thread just helped me with my next question... ...no need to ask or search now, lol.

You guys are a ton of help! :)

haddog
April 8th, 2010, 01:50 AM
You don't need a SATA card, you can buy a cheap adapter that plugs in between the SATA drive & the IDE cable, I use these myself, & they work fine.

Haven't seen one of those cheap adapters. Where do you purchase from?

CharlesA
April 8th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Haven't seen one of those cheap adapters. Where do you purchase from?

Generic crap ftw! (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y2NI4M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000ZLM9IA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03VGAK7M812T7BHSEKNQ)

sandyd
April 8th, 2010, 05:47 AM
grab a raid card and setup raid0 or raid1. oh yeah!!

Roasted
April 8th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Clone the old drive to the new one with clonezilla. Has always worked for me without fail.

I have a question regarding this that I assume the original poster might benefit from knowing...

Whenever I've used Clonezilla, it's always saved the image as a package, which indicated to me I need to upload the image from drive A to an external, then re-deploy it to drive B from my external.

In his case, no external is in the mix. It's just old drive (A) and new drive (B). Is there a straight up DD function clonezilla has, which can take away from the need of saving/re-deploying the "package" (image) and do it all in 1 solid shot?

If so, would the user need to use GParted afterwards to expand the partition to utilize the new space on the new drive?

CharlesA
April 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I don't know if that's possible. I usually just image a machine to a network share or local device and then go from there.