PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please! :)

mcoleman44
April 6th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Some advice for new users of Ubuntu and Linux in general. What advice would have helped you when you first installed Ubuntu?

mcoleman44
April 6th, 2010, 04:54 AM
My advice, for example, would be to try this before saying you cant get your wireless working:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
After you log back in go to System>Administration>hardware drivers

Dayofswords
April 6th, 2010, 04:59 AM
do some research, learn what it is, what it is used for and how it is different from windows

thats what i did in a nutshell

Khakilang
April 6th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Get the internet to work and update all the files. Download all the movie and music codec. Read a lot and don't hesitate to experiment. Most of all enjoy yourself.

conradin
April 6th, 2010, 05:37 AM
use a live cd. explore, tinker, etc, then install if you like it.

Psumi
April 6th, 2010, 05:42 AM
use a live cd. explore, tinker, etc, then install if you like it.

...and then find out none of your old apps work by installing the windows version.

...and then find out the ubuntu version doesn't work on debian, and the debian version [might] not work on Ubuntu.

unknownPoster
April 6th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Ubuntu isn't the only distribution out there, and many others are superior by far.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 6th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Ubuntu isn't the only distribution out there, and many others are superior by far.
Subjective post is subjective.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that Ubuntu isn't necessarily the best, although it IS my favorite distro and many other people's also.

sixthwheel
April 6th, 2010, 06:35 AM
What advice would have helped you when you first installed Ubuntu?

Install flash from the software center, not from the Flash website.

unknownPoster
April 6th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Subjective post is subjective.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that Ubuntu isn't necessarily the best, although it IS my favorite distro and many other people's also.

It's hardly subjective.

Ubuntu is NOT the best for ancient computers, whereas DSL, Puppy, SliTaz, are much better.

And in the corporate world RHEL is superior for servers.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 6th, 2010, 07:27 AM
It's hardly subjective.

Ubuntu is NOT the best for ancient computers, whereas DSL, Puppy, SliTaz, are much better.

Is that what makes a disto superior? Thanks for clearing that up.

One suggestion that I have for new users is to use the man command to look up information for commands that you don't understand. There is a lot of documentation that can be helpful if you look up man and combine what you learn with a few google searches.

Naggobot
April 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
1. +1 for #2 post.
2. +1 for #9 post. Generally do not install anything outside of the repositories until you know how and why. I have now used Ubuntu 1.5 years and I do not yet know and have not yet deeded to install anything outside of the repositories.

1. If your local law permits enable all repositories from

System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager

In Synaptic select

Settings-> Repositories

From first tab select all except source code, close window.

Install ubuntu-restricted-extras by typing the name to the quick search box of the Synaptic.

(This may be semiautomatic already, I do not remember if I had to do this manually with 9.10)

2. If your local law permits, find out how to install DVD encryption library and install it.

3. Install VLC-media player.

4. You can install different localization packages (languages) and you can change the language from the login screen.

5. Get ubuntu pocket quide http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

6. Learn to use multiple desktops and configure a good shortcut keys for actions you use.

7. In terminal you can get process list by typing

ps -A
8. You can kill a process from terminal by using kill command

kill psidor if the process does not believe above then

sudo kill -9 psid
9. sudo is the command to execute commands as root and gksudo is for graphical applications.

10. By pressing ctrl+alt+F(n) where n is 1 to 7 you can switch between terminals (or was it consoles). Do not be alarmed, the graphical can be found from ctrl+alt+F7. You can log in to any of those terminals and execute commands.

11. Xsession is restarted by pressing altgr (right alt) + sysrq + k

velle frak
April 6th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Don't give up too easy when something doesn't work. It's worth to stick with it ;).

Untitled_No4
April 6th, 2010, 08:13 AM
When the computer doesn't respond:
Alt + PrtSc + k
and if nothing happens after a few seconds:
Alt + PrtSc + (r -> e -> i -> s -> u -> b)

ssam
April 6th, 2010, 10:33 AM
not to use forum subjects like "please help", "ubuntu question", "help me", "advice please"...

Psumi
April 6th, 2010, 10:46 AM
2. +1 for #9 post. Generally do not install anything outside of the repositories until you know how and why. I have now used Ubuntu 1.5 years and I do not yet know and have not yet deeded to install anything outside of the repositories.

I'd rather install flash 10.1, as it takes up 10% less CPU on some flashes. Even though some functionality will not work, and the dreaded flickering flash comes back... I'd rather have less CPU consumption.

red_Marvin
April 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
It's hardly subjective.

And in the corporate world RHEL is superior for servers.

But that is when adding constraints that were not there in the initial statement. I use and prefer arch, but it is a matter of superiority for the things I do and my views on computing.

I would say that people generally need to ditch the mantra that cli/bash is difficult. I mean there is the possibility of doing advanced stuff with it, but general stuff like sudo apt-get ... should be understandable by anibody able to interpret written English.

mcoleman44
April 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
not to use forum subjects like "please help", "ubuntu question", "help me", "advice please"...

I fail to see the problem. Maybe instead of simply posting the problem you could try offering a solution as to what it is you would rather see. If it was an actual support question I would have been more detailed, but seeing as This thread is listed under the community carfe I figured I could keep it simple.

shawnhcorey
April 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Some advice for new users of Ubuntu and Linux in general. What advice would have helped you when you first installed Ubuntu?

Step 1: Back up your data!

blueturtl
April 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM
My advice goes out to the neurotic tinkerer sort (the kind I am):

In Linux it's good practice to keep your files separate from the rest of the system. That's what /home is for. The beauty of it, is that you can easily map /home to another partition and/or device altogether. If you ever have to do the Linux equivalent of "format c:" (or just want to try a different distribution), your files and settings, even your wallpapers are all preserved just the way you want them.

Use the applications provided in the system repositories. Having version 1.31 instead of 1.30 is not worth the hassle in trying to manage everything yourself. Embrace package management, it is meant to make you life easier.

Don't fuss about memory use or other details of the system if everything is working fine. Comparing systems to one another only makes sense if they are identical. Linux scales to make the most of your hardware. Firefox will eat tons of RAM if you have tons of RAM.

sudoer541
April 6th, 2010, 07:07 PM
My advice, for example, would be to try this before saying you cant get your wireless working:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rebootAfter you log back in go to System>Administration>hardware drivers

I'd rather go work for NASA and create a rocket, instead of using this complicated code!
If you expect noobz to use codes, then ubuntu or Linux is not for them!

whiskeylover
April 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Buy a mountain bike, periodically turn off your computer, and meet real people once in a while. It helps when you eventually get bored of computers.