PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installed Hardy on XP host - asks for Windows passwd!!!!!

smartsmokey
April 6th, 2010, 04:04 AM
We installed 8.04 on a laptop running XP, and created the ubuntu users/passwords, am able to log in at start up, but when we click network setting it shows the Windows username on the host OS...WTF? Can't figure out what to do. Can log in fine in XP as a user, but not admin. I'm thinking ubuntu is asking me for the admin password for the XP. That's exactly what it's doing. Uh....anyone ever run into this?

smartsmokey
April 6th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Installed ubuntu on machine already running XP. Kept the ******* on it. Created ubuntu user/root and password, am able to start ubuntu and log in succesfully. However, when I try to click unlock on network connections/manager, it shows the Windows admin username and requires that password. Any ideas? Incan not enable wireless with this going on

themusicalduck
April 6th, 2010, 04:16 AM
It's very unlikely that Ubuntu will be asking for the login details of your Windows install! Generally if you need to unlock something, you will need to give the password you gave when installing Ubuntu. Assuming you are logged in your username, you should use whatever password you set when you installed Ubuntu.

Created ubuntu user/root and password you don't actually set a password for user root when installing Ubuntu, only for the user account. Unless you did something out of the ordinary to gain access to the root account which isn't a great idea.

My only other guess is that you're thinking of a WEP or WPA key or router access login? Those are the only things related to networking that may need a different password.

lisati
April 6th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Duplicate threads merged.

oldefoxx
April 6th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Not sure, since I haven't tried your setup. I suspect that you are running Ubuntu as an application under Windows, and it is the Windows timeout and Screen Saver that is being activated, so naturally the Windows UserID and Password are involved. I could be wrong, but it makes a kind of sense.

themusicalduck
April 6th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Now I've seen the merged posts I'm pretty confused by your problem. Do you mean the password is being asked for in the host Windows or guest Ubuntu?

smartsmokey
April 6th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Yeah, I'm in Ubuntu, and when I do something like system>administration>network, I can't unlock it - for users it gives me the Windows XP username! Yeah.

Edit: I think the only solution is to reinstall by writing over Windows so it's standalone Ubuntu machine all the way. Then reinstall XP via virtualbox...argh!!!!