PDA

View Full Version : What's your level of Linux experience?

undecim
April 6th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Just wondering.

I consider myself a power user. I'm at home on the CLI, but don't do much programming.

mcoleman44
April 6th, 2010, 03:06 AM
How about you go first? ;)

Psumi
April 6th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Beginner.

mcoleman44
April 6th, 2010, 03:10 AM
180 of my beans were from questions.... So Im not what you would call an Admin. :lolflag:

lisati
April 6th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Don't be fooled by my bean count (or anything else for that matter): each of us brings a unique combination of skills, knowledge and ability.

mcoleman44
April 6th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Well said. I doubt Ill be judging you by your hidden beans though..;)

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2010, 03:26 AM
My beans have come mainly from trying to lead people in the right direction. I seldom can find the answer for any advanced problems, so I would say intermediate. I am comfortable with command line and the various interfaces though.

2hot6ft2
April 6th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Somewhere between n00b and advanced n00b...
:lolflag:

swoll1980
April 6th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I've been a noob for 3 years now.

RiceMonster
April 6th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Ultra Super Mega Elite Expert

Psumi
April 6th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Ultra Super Mega Elite Expert

...Plus

mcoleman44
April 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM
RiceMonster.... Do you approve of this thread?

RiceMonster
April 6th, 2010, 03:44 AM
RiceMonster.... Do you approve of this thread?

Yes, it is worthy.

Psumi
April 6th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Yes, it is worthy.

*sigh*

red_Marvin
April 6th, 2010, 03:46 AM
sed god

chillicampari
April 6th, 2010, 03:50 AM
If you count Unix (Solaris flavor), I've been a noob for almost 18 years (though the first couple were just data entry on a mainframe, later I went into applications development and tech services). If not counting that, somewhere abouts '97 or so I started messing with the Linux. I still know next to nothing and please stay off of my lawn.

Veteropinguis
April 6th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I can sudo apt-get install. For my purposes (minor gaming, web browsing, school stuff, music listening, etc) Ubuntu has always performed flawlessly from the GUI, which is fine by me.

I've only had problems when I've started mucking around with things I don't understand at 3 AM. Same would be true for Windows.

HoboJ
April 6th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I'd say basic. I have a wide base of linux knowledge but lack more than a basic understanding of said linux knowledge.

bpalone
April 6th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Not in the grave yet, so I am still learning.

Yvan300
April 6th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Noob!

JohnnyCODE
April 6th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Noob:)

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 6th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I consider myself a novice. I've used Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse and Arch but I just keep coming back to Ubuntu because I'm too lazy to deal with the issues of the other distros but I get too bored when I run Windows (except for the games).

Khakilang
April 6th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I think am a super newbie. Install and uninstall software from Ubuntu software center. Get my Brasero to burn DVD movie, play movie and music but no CLI for me at the moment.

Rhubarb
April 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I guess I'd be intermediate.

I'm comfortable with the command line, and I often rtfm if I get stuck.

I run Ubuntu on my laptop, ubuntu server on my headless laptop, and Arch with wmii (http://wmii.suckless.org/) on my desktop.

I've been using and learning Linux for around the past 5 years.

bigsmitty64
April 6th, 2010, 05:27 AM
My Credentials:

Ph.D. in Extreme Newbism,
Professional mis-perceptionist,
I decided to free some space on my hard drive, so I deleted all those pesky .ini, and dll files I didn't know.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 6th, 2010, 05:34 AM
My Credentials:

Ph.D. in Extreme Newbism,
Professional mis-perceptionist,
I decided to free some space on my hard drive, so I deleted all those pesky .ini, and dll files I didn't know.
I hear that it's fun to play around in sbin :p

gadolinio
April 6th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Well said. I doubt Ill be judging you by your hidden beans though..;)

Hahahah! =D

Nisal
April 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Begginer :)

karthick87
April 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Beginner.

sixthwheel
April 6th, 2010, 06:21 AM
After using Ubuntu and GNU/Linux for a month, I would say that I'm between an expert, and a Linux God.
Go ahead...Ask me anything.:lolflag:

Irihapeti
April 6th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Expert

as in: X is the unknown quantity and Spirt is a Drip under pressure.

(Yeah, I know - old joke)

ElSlunko
April 6th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Moderate to power user. Use CLI occasionally and do not fear it. No programming skills at all. Just a photographer.

lisati
April 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Expert

as in: X is the unknown quantity and Spirt is a Drip under pressure.

(Yeah, I know - old joke)

It has been a while since I've heard that one! :)

Endomancer
April 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM
5 months after wiping windows and installing ubuntu and I'm still working my way up to noob

Barrucadu
April 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hmm, probably a power user.

gemmakaru
April 6th, 2010, 10:41 AM
No idea what beans are or why I would want any but here goes.

Despite being a windows programmer I still don't have the foggiest idea how to write for Linux. It's like the coding is one thing but the compiling, linking references and distribution is a mystery. It's beyond my current knowledge but perhaps not beyond my ability. Crossing from one to the other is not something I plan to do I mean going from an expert to a noob would not be easy career wise, I can make a better living as a .net expert. Lets keep the two separate hey.

As a user I would say power user as I try to push the boundaries a little being careful not to break anything. Been using Linux for ten years on and off but still can't fix all my problems. I usually walk away and find a different way of doing something rather than fixing it.

Zoot7
April 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I don't know what I am. I've fleeted around with a lot of distros over the last 5 years, such as openSUSE, Fedora, Slackware, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu and then settled on Debian again with the odd bit of usage of Slackware on the side.

Form your own conclusions. ;)

J V
April 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Thinking of doing away with panels and going CLI fullscreen (With X)

Only I don't know how lol xD

Openbox DE + Some terminal app?

xpod
April 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Less of a noob than i was 4 years ago, when i was a complete noob.
I`ve always found the term "Power User" quite funny. I have this vision of someone eating some of Mario`s Magic Mushrooms before opening 6 Browser tabs and using a Second workspace for his messenger app.

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Why not just use the terminal? Press CTRL+ALT+F5. I am assuming you want X to be able to utilize video playback? Just install something simple like Openbox and use the menu. If you want pure command-line, burn an alternate install cd and choose to install a command line only system from the extra options.
32-bit: http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386.iso

Psumi
April 6th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Thinking of doing away with panels and going CLI fullscreen (With X)

Only I don't know how lol xD

Openbox DE + Some terminal app?

Might want to check this out: http://xwinman.org/

J V
April 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I want my desktop to be like a terminal, that way I can use gui apps (Seriously, multiple windows ftw) but still have a terminal all the time... (What happens if I run exit?)

I won't try this until lucid though, seems a waste to do it now...

Any bash to set openbox as default instead of gnome?

Pogeymanz
April 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'm pretty good with finding my way around a Linux distro. I do some programming for work, but have almost never used that skill toward Linux.

I use Arch, with a custom kernel, yet I probably still couldn't actually make a package out of source code.

I'm confident that no matter how badly I mess up my installation, I'll never NEED to reinstall. I can always chroot from a liveCD.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm probably a 6 or 7.

lostinxlation
April 7th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Major CAD tools for chip design only work on Unix variants and some Linuxes and i have been working on it for 20 years, so I'm pretty good at manipulating the stuffs with commands and scripting, but don't have much experience on admin part.

firedragoneater
April 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I would call myself a begginer moving up to a more advanced user.

jetmech568
April 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM
What's before beginner?:confused:

lisati
April 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM
What's before beginner?:confused:

Curious (inquisitive) person? :)

jetmech568
April 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
thanx that would be me

J V
April 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM