PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] copy system

gameguy
April 6th, 2010, 01:58 AM
is there any way to create an install disk but with all the programs i've installed, but without an iso image (on a toshiba) and install it on a dell. Otherwise is there anything else that would let me copy my system onto another computer?
Thanks

Tylerjd
April 6th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Directly copying a system is easy. All you need is an Ubuntu Live CD, and and external HDD/ big flashdrive. Start up from live CD, use GParted (System>Administration>Gparted). Copy hda or sda (whatever is your internal HDD) to USB HDD. Do reverse to put on new machine. I'm not sure about copying from Toshiba to dell or whatever, if it will detect the right drivers, esp if you have made changes tot he kernal. I wouldn't recommend it.

gameguy
April 6th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I knew it would work without that. My problem was the model.

gilbertoiki2
January 9th, 2011, 02:47 AM
is there any way to create an install disk but with all the programs (http://www.**********************/yuv-conversion-guide/index.html) i've installed, but without an iso image (on a toshiba) and install it on a dell. Otherwise is there anything else that would let me copy my system onto another computer?ThanksIt is exactly what I need, I understand this part, Thanks for your effort!