PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] TOMBOY - next version please...

doublewitt
April 6th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Currently have version 1.0.1 and would like to UPGRADE to version 1.2.0

I have a PPA in the software sources but it doesn't work - maybe there is a new PPA...?

My PPA:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/tomboy-packagers/stable/ubuntu

Can someone kindly help me with this..?!

gordintoronto
April 6th, 2010, 03:41 AM
The version you are looking for was released last week. It normally takes several months for a new version to make it into a new release of Ubuntu.

The new version is available now to people who are basically application developers. In other words, they understand how to compile a program from source code, they keep development libraries up to date, and a whole lot of other stuff which gets in the way if you just want to USE a computer.

One of the things those developers do is put applications into a PPA. Even that might take weeks. It's not a mechanical process.

doublewitt
April 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM
OK - thanks for the explanation.
I guess we'll just have to wait a bit...

Spalding
August 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I also am thinking about upgrading from the 1.0.0 that came with my Ubuntu to 1.2.0, but I am apprehensive about screwing with this stuff. I thought Ubuntu was supposed to be easy! I opened the tarball from the Tomboy site, and extracted it using the Archive manager, and it looks like it just put the whole folder in my home directory. I poked around in there a little, and there are INSTALL notes that look like I would have to compile it, and that's where I stopped, since my top priority is to not break the version I have.

I have also been thinking of upgrading to 10.04 LTS - would that contain the new Tomboy? How could I find out?

sgosnell
August 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
1.2 is in the 10.04 repository. I don't know about 9.10, but you can open Synaptic Package Manager, find Tomboy, and it will show the version you have installed and the latest version available in the repository.

Spalding
August 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks, sgosnell. So is 10.04 pretty trouble-free? I have a vintage 2000 PC with only 512 MB RAM and a slow 7 GB disc drive. Yes, I know :)

Will Synaptic do all the work for me if I decide to just upgrade Tomboy on my current Ubuntu?

sgosnell
August 7th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I don't know. As I said, I don't know what version of Tomboy is available in the 9.10 repository. But if your computer runs OK on 9.10, I think it should run at least as well on 10.04. IME it's far more stable and usable than 9.10, which was problematic for me.

Spalding
August 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks. 9.10 has not been so great for me either so I guess I'll go ahead and upgrade.