PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu or slackware?

zvacet
April 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Ubuntu is not about design ( in important way).You can customize any distro as you like.Difference is deeper but because Iīm not Slackware user ( and I never was) I can not tell you important difference.Why donīt you install one on HDD and other you can run in virtual machine.That way you will have both and you will be able to see differences and choose witch one you want to use.

Oldskool Slacker
April 5th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Hey, look! A thread just for me! :lolflag:

OK, seriously....

The difference between the two is philosophical. Slack is for people who want to get their hands dirty with the OS, work close to the metal, create their own "lean mean computing machine". There isn't a whole lot of hand-holding going on.

Ubuntu, on the other hand, is for people who use a computer for reasons other than mucking with the OS. It tries to make system maintenance as effortless as possible, and stay out of the user's way and let him/her get on with what he/she actually wants to do.

Neither attitude is "right" or "wrong". If editing text files in /etc is your idea of fun, go for it. If not, not. That's the great thing about FOSS: you can find that perfect fit :cool:

wojox
April 6th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Look at it this way, do you want to build your car or just get in it and drive around?

If your not to familiar with Linux start with Ubuntu and work your way over to Slackware.