PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Macintosh G5 Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC (Will not run Live -CD)

1984dc
April 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hello all ):P

I have been trying to get a live-CD working on my Macintosh G5 Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC.

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu, and although i did manage to install the "netbook remix" on my Compaq mini 311c (I think it's called a HP mini 311c outside of Europe) without too many problems, just a few teething issues that where easily fixed. I have now come to my G5 and tried to run a live CD For every PowerPC variant of Ubuntu from 6.10 right through to Karmic koala but none of them have worked.

This is the basic problem I am having; On the majority of releases the live CD boots up ok and then after the initial boot-screen and waiting screen it goes black, I can still hear the Ubuntu chimes in the background but I'm getting only a black screen.:confused:
I have tried all the boot options (live-nosplash-powerpc video=ofonly break=top etc...) but nothing seems to work. I did a bit of googling and found that a possible solution might be to write/configure the kernel specifically for my Mac but that seemed too complex a solution especially for an OS that I’m just starting to learn and mainly because i have very little programming experience.

somebody people suggested using the alternate CD but as far as I’m aware there is no live version on the alternate CD and i really wanted to try Ubuntu on my system before fully installing it, as i am not sure on how it will run on my system (if anyone owns a Mac G5 Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC and has had a successful install and can give me the thumbs up please let me know, and include the ubuntu version number so i can download the correct Alternate cd). I have heard reports that the fans run really loud and that there are various issues with the wireless configuration.
I also don't want to install ubuntu fully as I’m unsure as to how i would go about un-installing it. I have seen on the internet that there may be data loss on the HD (hard drive) and i don’t want to loose application data on my internal HD + i don't have the space in storage to back all my data up.

If anyone has any info on; how they managed to install ubuntu on their Mac G5 Dual 2.3ghz, how uninstalling ubuntu from Mac is done (and how successful it was/whether data is really at risk on both sides of the partition (i.e; the Mac Os X side of the partition in this case)) or whether there is a quick fix to make the live CDs work properly please let me know.

Many thanks in advance
Dc :cool:

1984dc
October 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM
If anyone is reading this thread in the end i ended up installing yellow dog linux http://ydl.net/ as it was the only distro that worked "straight out the box" without the need to configure x11 or any other window manager.

:guitar: