PDA

View Full Version : Programming Mentor/Tutor

hawaiian1der
April 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I have a few languages under my belt, but I have a major problem. When someone pushes me a little, I can just think and think, but alone I can;t think of what to make. What I'm looking for, and I'm sure there are other people on the forums wanting tthe same thing, someone willing to not so much as teach me, but point me in the right direction and can challenge me.Someone to give me a deadline to create something in a specific language. When I say I'll do something I don;t just goof off and use this all as a joke, I really like programming, but I need help to push me. So that means, for people who post on this thread, don't go posting lame, half *** things. Contact me, if your serious, at hawaiian1der@hotmail.com

Wybiral
April 5th, 2010, 04:18 PM
There are programming challenges on this forum, and websites dedicated to things like that.

hawaiian1der
April 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I'm not stupid, I know that. That's the exact answer I didn't want.

GregBrannon
April 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM
The expression, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you," applies even if you don't like the food being offered. It may be all you get, especially if other potential contributors witness the biting.

Good luck in you search!

cubeist
April 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM
What you are describing is called school. So go take some courses that interest you. Most universities allow people to take courses as "not for credit" as a mature student, or you could enrol in continuing education courses (which are often cheaper).

If you don't want to pay for school, then you could invest in some good textbooks and teach yourself, or hire yourself out for independent coding projects that allow you to expand your horizon... ie, join one of the thousands of OSS projects and dive in head first. Also, in almost every major city across North America, there are what I will fondly call "geek" clubs... groups of people with similar hobbies that get together and build and solder things and write code... like robots, rc, etc, etc.

It is unlikely you will find a mentor, there are many reasons, but bottom line, most of us don't have the time/energy to invest.