PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz query...

Baldrick_NZ
April 5th, 2010, 08:11 AM
After following the sticky above, I installed both simple-ccsm and compizfusion-manager and followed the instructions, yet for the life of me I can't seem to get the Cube effect working.

If I'm not mistaken, the cube effect is where if you have 2 or more apps open in the same desktop window, you can rotate between them, creating a cube-type transition. As per images below..

Any help would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: I'm using Lucid Lynx 10.04 Beta1 on an ACER T135 Desktop, 3300+ Sempron, 1gig RAM PC. Please let me know if you require any further iinfo.

hhh
April 5th, 2010, 08:48 AM
After following the sticky above, I installed both simple-ccsm and compizfusion-manager and followed the instructions, yet for the life of me I can't seem to get the Cube effect working.
You don't need both, just one or the other. Uninstall simple-ccsm.

If I'm not mistaken, the cube effect is where if you have 2 or more apps open in the same desktop window, you can rotate between them, creating a cube-type transition.
You are mistaken. The cube is where you have at least 4 virtual desktops running and then you can rotate between them. I haven't used Compiz in quite a while but you'll need to (at least) set "Horizontal Desktops" to "4" in the General options of the Compiz Configuration Settings Manager.

I'm sure someone who runs Compiz will give you more info shortly. Until then...
http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/2007/8/29/How-to-set-up-Compiz-Fusion
http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Cube

sikander3786
April 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
As said by hhh, you only need Advanced Desktop Settings Manger(ccsm) installed on your system. You can easily search for it in the Software Centre.

Secondly you need at least 4 workspaces for the cube effect.

After installing ccsm go to

System --> Preferences --> CompizConfig Settings Manager

Tick the Dekstop Cube and Rotate Cube boxes.

And you should have a rotating cube.

Post back if problems persist.

Sikander.