PDA

View Full Version : What DE/WM/etc is this? from the show "V"

earthpigg
April 5th, 2010, 04:25 AM
from the episode of V that recently came out on hulu...

does anyone know what software is pictured here?

kevin11951
April 5th, 2010, 04:29 AM
While I am not sure what it really is, I think they were going for mac. notice the menu options in the top task bar.

edit: having looked at it again, i am sure... mac.

Doctor Mike
April 5th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Looks like modified KDE.

swoll1980
April 5th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Ha ha. I was going to say it looked like Gnome. There's a little disparity for you.

ve4cib
April 5th, 2010, 05:28 AM
My first reaction was Gnome with the Gnome-Panel-Menu applet and a heavily-customized GTK theme. It could also simply be a mockup that was made for the show and is not actually any kind of functional DE.

chucky chuckaluck
April 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Looks like modified KDE.

conversation spelled with a 'c'???

it could even be xfce (the desktop icons have that default setup look to them).

Gorgoth
April 5th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Xfce with the MacMenu thingy for Gnome?

(Like the above person, icons lead me to think XFCE)

Paqman
April 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM
It could also simply be a mockup that was made for the show and is not actually any kind of functional DE.

^This

A lot of the systems you see on TV and in the movies are actually just animations they've mocked up.

ve4cib
April 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
^This

A lot of the systems you see on TV and in the movies are actually just animations they've mocked up.

And that goes for cell phones too. I saw a behind-the-scenes video on YouTube a while ago with the graphic artists who do the computer display animations for one of the CSI shows. At one point an actor has to do something on an iPhone, but rather than have the actor actually use the phone they created an animation that the actor had to pretend to manipulate. This way they could scale some of the text (like making the caller's name and photo bigger, and shrinking the phone number to illegibility) so that it looked good on-screen.

Plus if you use an animated mockup it's easy (well, easier) to place the animation back on the screen in post-production if there was glare on the screen from lighting, or problems with the refresh-rate of the display.

forrestcupp
April 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Last week's Mentalist showed one of their computer screens using XP. I guess that show doesn't have a very big budget.

undecim
April 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Last week's Mentalist showed one of their computer screens using XP. I guess that show doesn't have a very big budget.

Well, they could have saved money by using a free OS.

forrestcupp
April 5th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Well, they could have saved money by using a free OS.

They didn't know those exist.