PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boots into terminal?

Shichifuku
April 5th, 2010, 03:52 AM
So, I haven't messed with Ubuntu in ages and kinda started to miss it, so I decided to go ahead and try to install it on my laptop

I got it to install (using Wubi) and the thing is when I start my computer it ask if i want to boot into Windows 7 or Ubuntu..I select Ubuntu..then it ask if i want to boot into 4 or so options, one of them being Unbuntu..I select that and it just starts showing text. After a while the loading screen pops up and it goes back to the text but this time ask for my username and then password, after that it lets me type in stuff.

I looked around and did a few things. I was told to try typing like..."startx" or something similar, and it made me go to a normal looking desktop, but the thing is that my keyboard nad mouse both started not responding when I did that.

Any suggestions as to what I should do>

I am using a Toshiba Satellite 505D laptop.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place >.<

me13221
April 5th, 2010, 08:09 AM
What are the "4 options" you mentioned?

lisati
April 5th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Is it possible that you installed the server edition, which doesn't come with a GUI? The "desktop" version of Ubuntu, which comes with a GUI, works on laptops too.

oldfred
April 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM
While I do not think this is your problem it may be in the future and you should do this update:

Fix for grub2 problem with wubi
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Wubi_9.10

Have you tried booting from the recovery mode and running all the updates to see it that fixes anything?