PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changin' hard drives

astro4travel
April 5th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Hi,
I have my failing C:drive with Windows XP on it. On my second hard drive, I have Ubuntu Karmic installed. Now, my question is that I have to reinstall Windows after I replace my 1st. hard drive. Will this affect the Grub boot loader from appearing after I have XP reinstalled and go to reboot? Hope this is clear. Thanks in advance. Michael

2hot6ft2
April 5th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Hi,
I have my failing C:drive with Windows XP on it. On my second hard drive, I have Ubuntu Karmic installed. Now, my question is that I have to reinstall Windows after I replace my 1st. hard drive. Will this affect the Grub boot loader from appearing after I have XP reinstalled and go to reboot? Hope this is clear. Thanks in advance. Michael
If the windows drive is the first in the boot order in the BIOS which it usually is (windows doesn't like being anywhere else) then yes.

Before you do it make sure of the size and location of your Kubuntu.
After installing windows it will only boot windows so you'll need to reinstall grub 2 like this (just imagine it says Kubuntu where it says ubuntu)

Using Ubuntu 9.10 livecd

Here assuming the Ubuntu partition is sda8,and /boot partition is sda6 (if you have a separate /boot partition).

Boot up ubuntu from the livecd,open terminal and run:

sudo -i
To find out you partitions run

fdisk -l
Use that info for the following

mount /dev/sda8 /mnt

mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/boot #skip this one if not have a separate /boot partition
You'll want to install grub to the drive that is first in the boot order in the BIOS

grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
Reboot removing the livecd in the process and once you're back in ubuntu run

sudo update-grub