PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Difference between Installing 9.10 with Upgrade to 10.4, and Clean 10.4 Install

UbuNoob001
April 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
So this is a fairly novice question (2 Parts):

1. I want to revert back to Ubuntu (I currently am running Dual Slackware/Vista). However, given that at the end of this month 10.4 will be out, is there much advantage to installing 9.10 now and upgrading later?

2. Another way to ask this might be: Suppose you already had 9.10 (which many of you do), and suppose you also have a safe /home (so that in a fresh install you wont loose /home), what is the advantage of a fresh install as compared to Upgrade.

Thanks in Advance!

Sef
April 5th, 2010, 02:15 AM
1.) Not much except a clean install is the best way to go.

2) I prefer a clean install. An upgrade is more likely to have problems. Before upgrading or clean installing, back up your files. There are not 100% guarantees that all will go well. In either case, run the live cd first, to see if there are any problems with your computer on 10.04. If problems exist while running the live cd, they will almost certainly be there upon install.

snowpine
April 5th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Better to install 10.04 Beta now than to install 9.10 and upgrade. With less than a month to go, 10.04 Beta is pretty close to the final version and will be an easier transition.

All in my opinion, and assuming you're comfortable using beta software for a couple of weeks, of course. :)

Sef
April 5th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Better to install 10.04 Beta now than to install 9.10 and upgrade. With less than a month to go, 10.04 Beta is pretty close to the final version and will be an easier transition.

All in my opinion, and assuming you're comfortable using beta software for a couple of weeks, of course.

Beta software is not for productions machines. There are bugs and you could be forced to reinstall the os. How comfortable are you with testing software?