PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Freeze (Windows XP dual boot)

Fantine
April 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I am running a Dell desktop with Windows XP Home Edition, which is up to date. My security suite is the Comcast-branded version of Norton 360.

Following the directions in a Smart Computing article, I downloaded wubi.exe and ran it. I get the options screen, used the default partition of 17 GB, chose a password, and then I'm directed to reboot. I reboot and get the bootup option page. So far, so good. But then I have a problem. I click on Ubuntu and then I see a white three-sector circle against a black background. It pulses a little bit for a few seconds and then nothing happens. It just sits there, with no hard drive activity. I waited for a while, with no activity, then shut the PC down, deleted Ubuntu and re-downloaded everything. Still have the same result. Anybody have any idea what's wrong? Thanks.

oldfred
April 5th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Welcome to the forums.

I do not know if this is the problem or you are past it. But it will not hurt to run this fix.
Fix for grub2 problem with wubi
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Wubi_9.10