PDA

View Full Version : Vector Linux and Ubuntu

dermotti
March 15th, 2006, 01:14 AM
So this weekend i installed Xubuntu (server install) and Vector Linux. Yea im a distro addict :-)

Both fresh installs. Both use XFCE.

Why is my Vecot0r linux like 10x more responsive on the desktop?

Is there a config file for XFCE somewhere that Vector has tweaked to make it so much faster? Is maybe Xubuntu way more vanilla therefore untweaked? is it something else making it so much faster feeling?

Adrian
March 15th, 2006, 01:16 AM
So this weekend i installed Xubuntu (server install) and Vector Linux. Yea im a distro addict :-) Both fresh installs. Both use XFCE. Why is my Vecot0r linux like 10x more responsive on the desktop? Is there a config file for XFCE somewhere that Vector has tweaked to make it so much faster? Is maybe Xubuntu way more vanilla therefore untweaked? is it something else making it so much faster feeling?

Try Dapper instead. It's much faster.

Edit: but still not as snappy as SUSE for me... Strange? Yes...

dermotti
March 15th, 2006, 01:19 AM
It was dapper, dist-upgraded from breezy

bonzodog
March 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Vector is a lot faster than xubuntu, due to the fact that vector is Slackware based, and Xubuntu is Debian based. Slackware is a lot lighter in it's setup, and doesn't use the convoluted debian procedures. Slackware is closer to BSD than mainstream linux, as most other linux distros are System V based.

dermotti
March 16th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Ahh i see... I wish i could get that speed out of Ubuntu some how , it was incredible.

Their package managment was not as fun. TGZ's seemed to install fine but then they were missing dependencies or not insalling config files. I tried using their slapt-get and it ended up breaking my system multiple times...

gahh! guess you cant have it all!

briancurtin
March 16th, 2006, 04:41 AM
if you are looking for someting fast, check out Arch Linux and install XFCE on that. it flys.