PDA

View Full Version : Thieves.

dragos240
April 4th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Grr... We just got a nice new graphics card, a geforce 9500 card with 1gb vram, and I needed a power supply upgrade, so we went and bought one. We later found out that it was not the power supply that was advertised. Here's what we think happened:

Someone bought a power supply that was the same watt power as the one they already had, by the same company, and then later resold it back to staples with the power supply they previously owned. Staples resold the old power supply, and we fell for it. The previous owner did a little switcheroo and got his money back and a brand new power supply out of it.

How do we know:
It's not the same model as the one advertised, and it comes with none of the same cables.

So now we have to wait ANOTHER week to install my power supply and graphics card. What a letdown. :(

SmittyJensen
April 4th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Grr... We just got a nice new graphics card, a geforce 9500 card with 1gb vram, and I needed a power supply upgrade, so we went and bought one. We later found out that it was not the power supply that was advertised. Here's what we think happened:

Someone bought a power supply that was the same watt power as the one they already had, by the same company, and then later resold it back to staples with the power supply they previously owned. Staples resold the old power supply, and we fell for it. The previous owner did a little switcheroo and got his money back and a brand new power supply out of it.

How do we know:
It's not the same model as the one advertised, and it comes with none of the same cables.

So now we have to wait ANOTHER week to install my power supply and graphics card. What a letdown. :(
don't feel bad. walmart is even worse (which is why i try not to buy electronics from there anymore)

tubezninja
April 5th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't really trust Staples as the go-to place for components.

You might be better off ordering the power supply from newegg or some place online.

dragos240
April 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't really trust Staples as the go-to place for components.

You might be better off ordering the power supply from newegg or some place online.

Well, my dad bought it, not me. ;)

blueshiftoverwatch
April 5th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Rant: It kind of annoys me how I spend $200 (in November 2009) on my GTX 260 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127426) and it only has 896MB of RAM while there are GPU's (like the 9500) that cost half as much and have a full 1GB. I guess that 104MB probably isn't going to make a huge difference, but still.

Also, NewEgg claims it comes with GDDR3 when the box they sent me only says DDR3. That same page used to say DDR3, so I knew what I was getting when I bought it. But they changed the product description to GDDR3 after the fact for some reason. I sent them an email about the error several months back and since then they've changed both the product description name and technical specs sections to say GDDR3. I'm somewhat confused now.

Baneblade
April 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Also, NewEgg claims it comes with GDDR3 when the box they sent me only says DDR3. That same page used to say DDR3, so I knew what I was getting when I bought it. But they changed the product description to GDDR3 after the fact for some reason. I sent them an email about the error several months back and since then they've changed both the product description name and technical specs sections to say GDDR3. I'm somewhat confused now.

When speaking about GPU RAM its common to the "G" to the beginning to show that you are speaking about graphical memory and not system memory. If you are solely discussing the GPU then its not really necessary to add the "G". Its nothing to do with the cards capability, don't worry.

speedwell68
April 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I know someone that bought a boxed PC and all of the RAM and the HDD had been nicked. These sort of scams are not uncommon,

blueshiftoverwatch
April 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM
When speaking about GPU RAM its common to the "G" to the beginning to show that you are speaking about graphical memory and not system memory. If you are solely discussing the GPU then its not really necessary to add the "G". Its nothing to do with the cards capability, don't worry.
I did not know that. I thought that GDDR3 was some sort of optimized DDR3 made specially for GPU's. While GPU's that had only DDR3 used the unoptimized RAM. Thanks for clearing that up.

Another question: Why can't GPU RAM be utilized by your computer as regular RAM can? Even if it was slower for non-graphics related tasks. You'd think that it could be used for emergency purposes, like if you ran out of actual RAM. Sort of like how SWAP/pagefile is used in emergencies where physialy RAM is depleted. Is GPU RAM utilized when I do things like watch videos?