PDA

View Full Version : PC Games in 3D

s3a
April 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM
According to this NVIDIA link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

your old pc games (you don't need to buy new ones) can be 3D! How does it work exactly? Do you need glasses? Do you need a 3D screen or a regular one would work? Does ATI have the equivalent?

Having the Half-Life 2 Series in 3D would make me soooo happy :)!

blueshiftoverwatch
April 4th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't want to watch movies and play games in 3D? I think it would be kinda crappy. I like looking at my screen and seeing everything on the same plane. Not having stuff jump out at me. Seems like it would be both annoying and distracting.

koshatnik
April 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
3D, shorthand for lame.

s3a
April 4th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I don't know if I'll like it but I think I will. I know I'm not buying anything without testing it in stores first though. That, and I'm waiting for a huge price drop but I'm just excited about new technology and wanted to see what you people think.

Do you people still think it would suck if we didn't need glasses? I heard about such a technology for the Nintendo DS for instance.

FuturePilot
April 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM
This whole 3D thing is a gimmicky fad.

cariboo
April 5th, 2010, 12:31 AM
This whole 3D thing is a gimmicky fad.

It was in the 70's too. What comes around goes around.

blueshiftoverwatch
April 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Do you people still think it would suck if we didn't need glasses? I heard about such a technology for the Nintendo DS for instance.
When I said that 3D sucked I meant without having to wear glasses. It would even more so if I needed to wear glasses.

Sugz
April 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I tried to play a 3D Raciong sim on the PC, using of these new Nvidia cards at a technology convention, and I was unimpressed, I came back from this particular booth thinking, soo, what is all the fuss all about. It just made it difficult to focus on particular objects.

Frogs Hair
April 5th, 2010, 04:48 PM
The glasses and hardware cost about 200.00 US. Don't quote me but I think it's only windows compatible and requires a 3D driver that is currently packaged with the drivers downloaded from the Nvidia site.

The harware is the glasses and a connector box placed between your pc and your 3D monitor.
the software comes with the driver.

Pros_to
April 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM
games in 3D?
it's really nice news.;)

J V
April 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
3d images on a 2d screen are produced by having 2 cameras next to eachother and using either a horizontal/vertical filter or a red/blue filter to block out one image per eye...

Unless they reverse engineered every game in the world (Or expected you to know how to change matrix variables) this is a sham: Don't bother

forrestcupp
April 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I heard about such a technology for the Nintendo DS for instance.That's probably going to be done with head tracking with the built in camera. It can tell where your head is in relation to the DS and it updates the graphics to make it appear that you are looking around things. It's pretty cool looking, but because of how it works, it wouldn't work well with a monitor or TV. I've seen people do it with the Wii, but it only works for the one person playing. Everyone else watching doesn't get the same effect.

3d images on a 2d screen are produced by having 2 cameras next to eachother and using either a horizontal/vertical filter or a red/blue filter to block out one image per eye...

Unless they reverse engineered every game in the world (Or expected you to know how to change matrix variables) this is a sham: Don't botherThat's not the only way. With the head tracking I mentioned earlier, it might be possible to only update the input system and have it work with any 3D game already made. But like I said, that method only works for one person. I've heard they're working on ways to allow other people sitting around to get a 3D experience, too.

kmsalex
April 5th, 2010, 06:35 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20001672-266.html

Npl
April 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
You can use 3D-Shutter glasses for 8 years or longer on Nvidia Cards. There was a way smaller "3D" hype back then but its still supported in drivers. I still remember the boots with one of the first Tombraiders running in "3D".

And games dont have to be specifically patched for support, it can be handled transparently by OpenGL/D3D drivers.

Edit: Those were the old glasses: http://www.vrealities.com/vr3d.html

forrestcupp
April 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20001672-266.html

I'm not buying a 3D TV until they've worked it out without glasses. The new glasses are about $150 each and everybody has to wear them. Even if they were free, it seems like it would be pretty uncomfortable for people who already wear glasses. I know the passive ones that work with current tv's are.