PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Installation

davebu
April 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
New guy with dumb question! I have an older Compaq Presario SR1215CL and the original hard drive died. I have replaced the hard drive with a used drive I purchased that turned out to be formated, but not partitioned. Using the Ubuntu installation CD, I am unable to partition the hard drive while running Ubuntu from the CD or trying to to a hard drive installation from the CD. The PC Bios recognizes the hard drive and the Bios is properly configured, but when I try to run the Ubuntu GParted or DiskUtility, they will not recognize the hard drive.

Needless to say, I don't have the original Microsoft XP CD to format the drive and the PC will not accept any of the older versions of DOS, so I can't run FDISK.

Any suggestions on how I can partition this hard drive so I can do an installation of Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Dave

Sef
April 4th, 2010, 06:33 PM
New guy with dumb question!

Not a dumb question.

I have an older Compaq Presario SR1215CL and the original hard drive died. I have replaced the hard drive with a used drive I purchased that turned out to be formated, but not partitioned. Using the Ubuntu installation CD, I am unable to partition the hard drive while running Ubuntu from the CD or trying to to a hard drive installation from the CD. The PC Bios recognizes the hard drive and the Bios is properly configured, but when I try to run the Ubuntu GParted or DiskUtility, they will not recognize the hard drive.

Any suggestions on how I can partition this hard drive so I can do an installation of Ubuntu?

Instead of trying to install Ubuntu, go down to 'check disk for errors' or something similar. Maybe your iso is bad.

uRock
April 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
You can go to the GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) page and download their LiveCD. I have used it a few times and it appears to be a powerful program.