PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading ubuntu?

tomsubt
April 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hello: This friend of mine is using vista premium and as access to a ubuntu disk 7.10 can he just put it in his pc and updgrade it to 9.10? Thanks

uRock
April 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hello: This friend of mine is using vista premium and as access to a ubuntu disk 7.10 can he just put it in his pc and updgrade it to 9.10? Thanks

He would have to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04LTS to 8.10 to 9.04 and finally to 9.10. The best option would be to upgrade to 8.04LTS, then wait a few weeks and upgrade directly to 10.04LTS.

Cheers,
Ronnie

tomsubt
April 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Ok, Thanks, so actually he'd be better off just ordering a cd, right?

gare
April 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hi -

He could download from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

and burn his own cd. with the current stable 9.10 version.

uRock
April 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Ok, Thanks, so actually he'd be better off just ordering a cd, right?

Yes, that would be the best bet. I haven't had good luck with running upgrades.

Cheers,
Ronnie

tomsubt
April 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Sounds good, so All he has to do is download the ISO file to say "My Documents" and from there is can burn it to a CD using his built in Roxio Creator, is this correct?

uRock
April 4th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Sounds good, so All he has to do is download the ISO file to say "My Documents" and from there is can burn it to a CD using his built in Roxio Creator, is this correct?

I am not sure if Roxio has ISO image burning capabilities, but on the ubuntu,com pages there is a link to InfraRecorder (http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5), which I have used and it works great on Windows.

The burner program is free to download.

Cheers,
Ronnie

tomsubt
April 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Roxio Creator does burn ISO to cd but I will use Infra Recorder myself, since I dont know how to use imgburner. Thanks for the tip, Thank You All, Tom

Halcyon31415
April 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Tom for what ever it is worth i did the exact same thing Burned the iso from Roxio like 2 days ago. Everything worked perfectly! you are on the right path!

tomsubt
April 4th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Good to know when I get to my friends I will use Roxio creator, wish I had it on my pc. Thanks
PS: I am using Ubuntu from my disk right now, works great