PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate about Society?

mamamia88
April 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Here are a couple of things i hate about people.

1. idiots who take up 2 parking spots just beccause they suck at backing up and don't want to get there car dented. how rude
2. people who don't put their carts away and just let them roll around the parking lot unattended.
3. when someone says "bless you" after i sneeze how the heck am i supposed to respond to that? always makes me uncomfortable
4. people who put gum under desks for heavens sake thats what the garbage can is for
5. people who leave early from classes just because they are bored. show a little respect for your teacher i'm just as bored as you are but i suck it up.

so what are your big pet peaves?

Uncle Spellbinder
April 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM

blueshiftoverwatch
April 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
People who can't place bumper stickers on their cars straight. Seriously, the majority of the bumper stickers I see on cars while driving are crooked. How hard is it to use a level?

JDShu
April 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
1. Parents who leave the auditorium after their childrens' segment in the school concert/performance. I'm just like... wow...

darthmob
April 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I can't think of anything right now. It depends on what mood I'm in.

3. when someone says "bless you" after i sneeze how the heck am i supposed to respond to that? always makes me uncomfortable

You smile and say thank you because it is a nice gesture. ;)

Khakilang
April 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
People who spit on the street right in front of you. Double parking and block you car from coming out. Hoarding the road. Tail gating and constantly honking knowing very well there is a speed limit.

People brag about how good is Window and than complain about the computer get infected by virus.

shawnhcorey
April 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
3. when someone says "bless you" after i sneeze how the heck am i supposed to respond to that?

Say, "Thank you."

Swagman
April 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM
As a trucker...

Muppets who kerfaddle along causing hold ups then speed up when reaching a dual carriageway preventing us overtaking them and then, as soon as the dual carriageway ends....

You guessed it.

And... People who make up pathetic excuses to NOT do something meaning I have to do their crap as well as my own (Work -related).

Dougie187
April 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Say, "Thank you."

+1, it's just them being nice. I would think it would be more rude to act like they were insulting you or something. It would be like giving someone a dirty look for holding a door open for you.

markp1989
April 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM
people who hold there phone whilst using a hands free kit.

people who cant speak properly and thinkg its cool.

gnupipe
April 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM
1. Communism in all forms.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Far right conservatism, in all forms

Perfect Storm
April 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
A bounch of Off-topic/CoC breach posts removed.

Please stay on topic, and I'll will remind people of our CoC: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy

chriswyatt
April 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
People who like to complain about everything or are against freedom of speech, people like that ruin society.

gnupipe
April 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM

1. idiots who take up 2 parking spots just beccause they suck at backing up and don't want to get there car dented. how rude
2. people who don't put their carts away and just let them roll around the parking lot unattended.
4. people who put gum under desks for heavens sake thats what the garbage can is for
5. people who leave early from classes just because they are bored. show a little respect for your teacher i'm just as bored as you are but i suck it up.

so what are your big pet peaves?

I think that you should move to another country.

kaivalagi
April 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
People who feel the need to post Off-topic/CoC breach posts that need removing by moderators :)
People who can't appreciate someone else's view point when it's not their own
When government makes choices for us that are border line when a referendum would be a good call
The class system
Wasting natural resources unnecessarily

I'm sure I could come up with a tonne more...

Good venting for all this :)

paulstonerii
April 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM
The main thing I hate about society today is that parents plop their kids down in front of gaming consoles, television, and cellular phones. They are ignored by their parents, all they know how to do is text, IM, email, and they have become socially retarded. No wonder kids are bringing guns into schools and lobbing a few hundred rounds at students and faculty just because some kid said he looked queer in a shirt he was wearing on MySpace or FaceBook. Do some parenting - it's love and it is work, but it is worth it in the end!

RiceMonster
April 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
1) People who talk extremely loudly as if everyone wants to be part of their obnoxious conversation
2) People walk extremely slow and block stairways to the train, subway, or whatever during rush hour.
3) Drivers who tail gate or don't signal

Seano911
April 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Facebook groups and fan pages that use proper grammar but then use "your" instead of "you're."

hhh
April 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
All the bitching.

gnupipe
April 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
The main thing I hate about society today is that parents plop their kids down in front of gaming consoles, television, and cellular phones. They are ignored by their parents, all they know how to do is text, IM, email, and they have become socially retarded. No wonder kids are bringing guns into schools and lobbing a few hundred rounds at students and faculty just because some kid said he looked queer in a shirt he was wearing on MySpace or FaceBook. Do some parenting - it's love and it is work, but it is worth it in the end!

Another reason: Malicious school environment.

purgatori
April 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM
The biggest one for me, although it's not purely 'social' in nature, is the nature of women's evolved mate preferences. If you don't know what I mean, check out the hot chicks with d-bags blog sometime. The preference for atavistic men with a surplus of physical and behavioral masculinity is not only something that I personally find aesthetically repellent, but it also means that my own chances of ever finding a companion are vanishingly small. Furthermore, the qualities in a mate that women select for would have been great under the tooth-and-nail conditions of our ancestry, but I think that they are downright detrimental in the present context.

rottentree
April 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
The main thing I hate about society today is that parents plop their kids down in front of gaming consoles, television, and cellular phones.[...] Do some parenting - it's love and it is work, but it is worth it in the end!

It's always easier to blame violent games and tv shows and **** than to admit that it's mostly their fault ;)

1) People who talk extremely loudly as if everyone wants to be part of their obnoxious conversation
2) People walk extremely slow and block stairways to the train, subway, or whatever during rush hour.

1)+1
2) I hate that too but I'm generally bothered by it because they prevent me from walking at my own tempo :D (The worst is on rainy days when pensioners form a living blockade with their umbrellas)

MacUntu
April 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Things you hate about Society?
Society is fine, I just can't stand the people. ):P

johnb820
April 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
-People who attempt to toss stuff away in a trash can and miss and then not bother to pick it up. It's so mind numbingly simple.

-People who flush clogged toilets.

-People who are more concerned for themselves rather than society as a whole. ie the world can blow up as long as they stay alive.

-People who glorify alcohol. There is nothing glorifying about hangovers and DUIs.

Basically self gratification culture and the sense of ego.

sanderella
April 4th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Drivers who park on the pavement, so that women and children have to walk on the road.:mad:

Jaecyn42
April 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM
People who errantly accuse you of committing a logical fallacy in an argument, while committing several themselves.

Case in point, I was having a Facebook discussion of an undisclosed political nature (in keeping with CoC). I listed and refuted the most common arguments presented by a certain beverage-oriented political movement. A detractor then accused me of making Strawman Arguments, while himself committing an ad hominem attack and tossing in a Red Herring, for good measure.

I asked him to clarify his position, at which point, he repeated his Red Herring, ad hominem rebuttal and proceeded to block me.

No big loss, really; but irritating, nonetheless.

Hwæt
April 4th, 2010, 08:47 PM
1) How many people hate people for expressing their political or religious views, yet support the freedom of speech.
2) How most people can't understand that forums are like another man's house, and that when you are in his house you must follow his rules.

agnes
April 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM
The preference for atavistic men with a surplus of physical and behavioral masculinity is not only something that I personally find aesthetically repellent, but it also means that my own chances of ever finding a companion are vanishingly small.
If it makes you feel better I know many people who hate that behaviour too, including me. These sort of preferences can also be seen in men btw.
I esp. hate it when people in a discussion say stuff like "this or that is evolutionary beneficial behaviour" when it was clearly only beneficial when we still lived in cages.

Main things:
1. Overpopulation (http://www.rijnlandmodel.nl/onderwerpen/klimaat_milieu/overbevolking_population-curve.gif)

2. Religious people that want to control society and/or think they have the monopoly on being offended. Hello, I am also offended by you sometimes, relax.

purgatori
April 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
1) How many people hate people for expressing their political or religious views, yet support the freedom of speech.

The contradiction that you think exists here, actually doesn't. Just because someone expresses a viewpoint that I think might be contemptible, it does not in any way conflict with my dedication to free speech. To put it another way, my reaction to a viewpoint that I either disagree with, or find morally reprehensible, does not include a desire for the prohibition of its expression; hence, there is no contradiction.

If it makes you feel better I know many people who hate that behaviour too, including me. These sort of preferences can also be seen in men btw.

Men tend to be somewhat non-discriminatory or shallow in terms of mate selection; I haven't really seen a susceptibility, in straight men at least, for the kind of characteristics I was referring to.

Religious people that want to control society and/or think they have the monopoly on being offended. Hello, I am also offended by you sometimes, relax.

+1

I think that it is especially dangerous when people, regardless of their standing on theological questions, want to enact legislation designed, essentially, to protect people's feelings.

chriswyatt
April 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM
People's eating habits annoy the hell out of me. People slurp and squelch their food, talk with their mouth full, eat with their mouth open, make unnecessary noises when they eat etc.. So many people seem to have what I consider bad eating habits but maybe I should just set my standards lower and not let it bother me so much.

People that don't control their kids, they also annoy me as well, I see kids running around doing things which I would've either got spanked or a thick ear for, maybe I'm just jealous of them.

agnes
April 4th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I haven't really seen a susceptibility, in straight men at least, for the kind of characteristics I was referring to.
I meant men who strictly prefer a sort of "atavistic" female, in the sense of: someone whose only/main qualities are a great (i.e. fertile) body; being popular; and wanting to breed/raise kids - and then also talk bad about girls that e.g. have short hair; wear unisex clothes; and/or are nerdy/sporty. (I haven't known that much of them btw, but they exist.) I saw that as some equivalent of those women you mentioned. But you probably are right about mens preferences being generally a little more straightforward. Anyway this is digressing a bit. I stop here before it becomes some vague, endless thread about sex differences ;)

purgatori
April 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I meant men who strictly prefer a sort of "atavistic" female, in the sense of: someone whose only/main qualities are a great (i.e. fertile) body; being popular; and wanting to breed/raise kids - and then also talk bad about girls that e.g. have short hair; wear unisex clothes; and/or are nerdy/sporty. (I haven't known that much of them btw, but they exist.) I saw that as some equivalent of those women you mentioned. But you probably are right about mens preferences being generally a little more straightforward. Anyway this is digressing a bit. I stop here before it becomes some vague, endless thread about sex differences ;)

Ah yes, I understand what you mean now, and I totally agree.

Zoot7
April 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM
People who have a seemingly emotional dependence on the presence of music in their ears at all times. I think it's a little sad when people can't be alone with their thoughts for a mere 5 minute walk.

blueshiftoverwatch
April 4th, 2010, 11:29 PM
People who have a seemingly emotional dependence on the presence of music in their ears at all times. I think it's a little sad when people can't be alone with their thoughts for a mere 5 minute walk.
I can't walk around while listening to music. I'm always paranoid that theirs going to be an out of control car blaring it's horn, murderer, or something else that I'd want to be able to hear while out and about but won't be able to because of the headphones.

Swagman
April 4th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I can't walk around while listening to music. I'm always paranoid that theirs going to be an out of control car blaring it's horn, murderer, or something else that I'd want to be able to hear while out and about but won't be able to because of the headphones.

I'm a night trunker truck driver. I drive for HOURS with no radio on. I love the serenity. If I was a bad boy then solitary confinement to me would be a blessing.

Another pet hate.

Fuel stations.. People who fill there car and then spend half hour wandering round the shop whilst their car is still blocking the pump.

Pay for your fuel and MOVE your car muppet. THEN go shopping.

dragos240
April 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM

1. Idiots who take up 2 parking spots just because they suck at backing up and don't want to get their car dented. How rude.
2. People who don't put their carts away, and just let them roll around the parking lot unattended.
3. When someone says "bless you" after I sneeze how the heck am I supposed to respond to that? Always makes me uncomfortable.
4. People who put gum under desks. For heavens sake that's what the garbage can is for.
5. People who leave early from classes just because they are bored. Show a little respect for your teacher I'm just as bored as you are, but I suck it up.

So, what are your big pet peeves?

People who use incorrect grammar, and punctuation. Call me a "Grammar Nazi". 23 mistakes on your part :). Yes, I am that peeved by grammar. Don't be offended. It is just the way I am.

Kingsley
April 4th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Airplane food, amirite?

Swagman
April 4th, 2010, 11:57 PM
People who use incorrect grammar, and punctuation. Call me a "Grammar Nazi". 23 mistakes on your part :). Yes, I am that peeved by grammar. Don't be offended. It is just the way I am.

In that case "spots" should read "spaces"

dragos240
April 5th, 2010, 12:01 AM
In that case "spots" should read "spaces"

I suppose. I say spots.

murderslastcrow
April 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
When people make fun of immigrants just because they can't speak English in the same hick accent, although they've spent the time to learn an entire second language, and to speak it fluently. It exhibits far more dedication and intelligence, but no, you're some crazy illegal alien coming to steal my job, they think.

It's probably time for the fat, uneducated caucasians to realize it isn't their country. America, that is. I am a caucasian, by the way, but I value knowledge, valor, and dedication above what kind of society you were born into.

We are much too selfish seeking our American dream to realized that it's escalated to something only a few people can really have.

chriswyatt
April 5th, 2010, 12:30 AM

Bugs me as well, I saw this on my Facebook news feed yesterday:

(Person) became a fan of "I Rather Have No Friends , Then Fake Ones :)"

I try not to be too pedantic in case the person who wrote it is perhaps brain-damaged or has some sort of disability. The chance of so many people on my Facebook news feed being mentally, um, inept, must be quite small so, this must just be pure laziness. Either that or schools don't teach spelling / grammar anymore. I'd expect a few spelling / grammar mistakes but what I see on Facebook just really surprises me.

It's always titles of groups and fan pages, you'd think it would be difficult to get a title wrong, reading my Facebook news feed depresses me a little.

blueshiftoverwatch
April 5th, 2010, 12:50 AM
@People having the grammar debate: I no longer have a MySpace and mostly hang around tech oriented forums. So I have kind of an unrealistic view of what grammar on the Internet is like. Then I went to some non-tech related forums a month ago to read up on what other people had to say about a subject I wanted to learn more about. Needless to say, I was shocked at the horrid grammar and spelling.

The way things are now, I sort of feel like an elitist when I say stuff like this. But, I don't think asking that native English speakers who don't have some sort of disability that impedes their ability to type use proper spelling and semi-competent grammar is that much to ask.

But maybe that does make me an elitist in the year 2010, although that isn't necessarily a bad thing. To say that I and a few naysayers are right and the majority of the Internet population is wrong, is kind of an elitist statement in it's self. But it doesn't make it any less true.

alket
April 5th, 2010, 01:07 AM
People who believe everything they hear and protect it like it is really true.

tylerspaska
April 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Oprah

falconindy
April 5th, 2010, 01:16 AM
What do I hate?

People who make preposterous claims, implying that they've done, and can do, no wrong. They put themselves on a pedestal and look down their nose at others, deriding their actions as sub-human behavior.

This thread makes me ill. Keep it to yourself.

j360
April 5th, 2010, 01:23 AM

depends what you mean with properly...I hate when people curse all the time..

markp1989
April 5th, 2010, 01:27 AM

depends what you mean with properly...I hate when people curse all the time..

i dont have a problem with swearing, as long as it isnt done for the hell of it.

by not speaking properly i mean the way the chavy kids speak, saying dis insted of this , I is insted of I am , etc

hhh
April 5th, 2010, 01:42 AM
People who use incorrect grammar, and punctuation.You don't need a comma there.

hhh
April 5th, 2010, 01:45 AM
The chance of so many people on my Facebook news feed being mentally, um, inept, must be quite small so, this must just be pure laziness.
The comma after inept needs to be removed, the one after so needs to go before it.

lisati
April 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
*rant begins*
/me thinks of a discussion on another non-technical forum about a week or so ago which resulted in me using some uncharacteristic colourful language. (I've since left that forum). Long story short: I don't like the way some people seem unable to accept that they might have contributed to a difficult situation - I've been guilty of this myself.

mcoleman44
April 5th, 2010, 01:54 AM
People who post rants on this forum saying no one helps them or all the users seem stuck up like they know everything. We don't have to take time out of our busy day to help people in need. We are just trying to pay it forward by helping others as others have helped us.

I also hate "windows 7 was my idea" commercials.

chriswyatt
April 5th, 2010, 01:58 AM
The comma after inept needs to be removed, the one after so needs to go before it.

My grammar isn't perfect either, I wasn't trying to say it was. Also I don't believe you have to completely follow the rules either, commas next to ands don't bother me for example, sometimes I find it reads better.

Actually English was never a strong subject of mine, I wasn't trying to say it was in my last post. Nor was I trying to sound superior as I'm actually really a bit of an idiot, if it did sound that way then it wasn't deliberate.

hhh
April 5th, 2010, 02:11 AM
@chriswyatt, just bustin' chops.

Stay cool, man!

thatguruguy
April 5th, 2010, 02:12 AM
My grammar isn't perfect either, I wasn't trying to say it was. Also I don't believe you have to completely follow the rules either, commas next to ands don't bother me for example, sometimes I find it reads better.

Actually English was never a strong subject of mine, I wasn't trying to say it was in my last post. Nor was I trying to sound superior as I'm actually really a bit of an idiot, if it did sound that way then it wasn't deliberate.

So, does incorrect usage bother you, or not? I'm bothered by inconsistencies.

matchett808
April 5th, 2010, 02:15 AM
hm....where to start....

....firstly I have to say ditto on the win7 adds! they are soooooo annoying, but at least they are short, could you imagine if it was windows 615? lol......secondly I think that the use of "emotive" language is actually part of our native toungue (the english language that is!) and should be something to be embraced and not feared/cast out, with its proper use there is nothing wrong with "cursing" (as the americans on this forum would call it) and thirdly on the point of the grammer discussion, I have a learning disability that makes me prone to mis-spelling and bad grammer, non-the-less I think that grammer is archaic (remembering that speech is about expressing yourself) as long as one can make one self understood by their fellow forum/blog/national/family/social/etc/etc/etc members then there is nothing wrong with it OF COURSE TYPING LIKE THIS IS ANNOYING and.so.is.thisandthisistooo, but still I hate grammer and so long as it is still understandable then i think that there is no need for correction....

....oh yeah and just about a million trillion gazillion more things annoy me but I'll keep it just to my veiws on topics already breached....

....I would like to post my completely number 1 pet peeve but I am pretty sure that in doing so I would be sanctioned under the CoC.......so I shall keep those thoughts to myself on this occasion :P

hhh
April 5th, 2010, 02:15 AM
People who bust chops and then say "Just kidding!".

matchett808
April 5th, 2010, 02:16 AM
@thatguruguy: oh shnap! lol, nicely put...

....inconsistancies bother me too, when one occurs in everyday life I have to rationalise it! lol (they can always be rationalised!)

chriswyatt
April 5th, 2010, 02:21 AM
This bothers me:

I Rather Have No Friends , Then Fake Ones :)

This doesn't:

People who use incorrect grammar, and punctuation.

I guess I'm biased as I don't use commas properly myself, I've always used them at points where I would take a breath, that's probably not the proper way to use them.

Anyway, I'm not saying any more about spelling / grammar now at the risk of sounding like a complete **** ;)

dmizer
April 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
It seems we've forgotten this ->

This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy)