PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu became Kubuntu after installing kubuntu-desktop

Paulzy
April 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Ubuntu became Kubuntu after installing kubuntu-desktop. I just wanted to install the KDE 4 Desktop manager. OK I used

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

And it said it was going to download over 400MB of data, so I answered Yes. When it got to the DM config screen i still set gdm as default. Later after the installation was done, I typed

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

I set kdm as default. Rebooted. I saw the blue kubuntu boot screen, then I was REALLY expecting to see a COMPLETELY different desktop, but ...no. Just my old one, complete with the GNOME panels, except the UserSwitcher didn't work. Everything else was the same (or so it appeared), except I had all these KDE apps in my menus.

So I did

sudo dpkg --configure kdm

That didn;t work as I recall so I retyped

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

And rebooted.

Well, I still see the blue kubuntu boot screen screen. How can I get it back to ubuntu's default boot screen?

Thanks.

BTW: When I DO switch DMs, how can I be sure it actually worked??

ajgreeny
April 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
You can change from gdm to kdm with the command you show, and then choosing which one you want, but to actually change from gnome to kde, you must wait for the login screen and then go to the options menu, from where you will get the choice.

If you want to get back to ubuntu's splash screen, the reconfigure gdm, with the choice of gdm there should do it, but I know from experience it does not always seem to work, so you could always just uninstall the kubuntu-artwork-usplash if you wish. That may also take kubuntu-desktop, but don't worry about that as it is only a meta-package and does not really do anything, except make sure all thekubuntu packages are installed if you do a distro version upgrade.

PS
kdm and gdm are not the desktops themselves but just the display managers, used at login, rather than any other time, as far as a user will notice. It is at the login screen only that you will know which is being used.

Paulzy
April 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Thanks, that helps a lot. Hm, I just wanted to be able to use KDE4. But here the thing. When I do select KDE from the Sessions menu during login, but I didn';t notice any diffrence, aside from the UserSwitcher not being added to the GNOME panel. hmm?

thanks again

ajgreeny
April 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
It sounds from that as if you are not actually geting the KDE desktop environment when you choose it from the session menu. You would certainly notice the difference between gnome and KDE, they don't look similar, or certainly not so similar as to be mistaken for one another.

I think something must have gone wrong in the installation in some way.

Paulzy
April 17th, 2010, 09:22 AM
It sounds from that as if you are not actually geting the KDE desktop environment when you choose it from the session menu. You would certainly notice the difference between gnome and KDE, they don't look similar, or certainly not so similar as to be mistaken for one another.

I think something must have gone wrong in the installation in some way.

Somethign did indeed. For now when i upgraded from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 things went wrong. For one I cannot select certain menus without being forced off and being dropped back to the login screen :(