PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need help!!

zAceXuRo
April 4th, 2010, 07:25 AM
i figured i would give this ubuntu os a shot but i cant get past the pink/purple screen.. im not a computer genius like most of u who are reading this so i need your help.. i get this message after i hit escape because program has not loaded after 20mins of letting it sit: GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0). i have searched other forums but have not found the answer please help.. im installing this on my OLD computer that has XP so i dont mess up the good computer.. would installing previous version and then updating help?

Minty :)
April 4th, 2010, 07:29 AM
so you downloaded the ISO and put it on a disk then reloaded the computer with disk inside ?

You can check if the ISO file works by using VirtualBox, and also try other distro's

but sorry, i am a bit lost about what you have done

meindian523
April 4th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I believe you've downloaded the beta of the latest version 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" which is currently not stable. Please use the stable version of Ubuntu which is 9.10 "Karmic Koala" and post the results.

EDIT: This is a known bug which has been filed, though not yet assigned to anyone. Should expect fix when lynx is released. You might want to contribute your hardware specs and experience here --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/531027

Naggobot
April 4th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Pink Purple sounds suspiciously like 10.4 Lucid lynx release. If this is what you have installed it should be noted that Lucid is still at beta stage and should not be installed or used by us normal mortals :p.

You might be better of with 9.10 Karmic Koala version of the Ubuntu.

zAceXuRo
April 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Pink Purple sounds suspiciously like 10.4 Lucid lynx release. If this is what you have installed it should be noted that Lucid is still at beta stage and should not be installed or used by us normal mortals :p.

You might be better of with 9.10 Karmic Koala version of the Ubuntu.
lol we normal mortals have a lot to learn.. but if u are anything like me you are very willing to do so :)

zAceXuRo
April 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I believe you've downloaded the beta of the latest version 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" which is currently not stable. Please use the stable version of Ubuntu which is 9.10 "Karmic Koala" and post the results.

EDIT: This is a known bug which has been filed, though not yet assigned to anyone. Should expect fix when lynx is released. You might want to contribute your hardware specs and experience here --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/531027
thanks meindian.. i have downloaded ubunto 9.10 and installed and the problem is fixed.. i now have ubunto but have to figure out how to bridge internet connection with my win7 pc to the new ubunto os.. i have a feeling though that the problems will not be too big though.. i messed around with it a lil bit but missed my windows7 ;) .. thanks for the quick replies everyone and i will be on this forum often.. if you are not TOO busy you should check out my friend and I's forum site www.theoscentral.net and keep the communication alive! once again.. thank you everyone!!!