PDA

View Full Version : Tax prep and financial software solution and Linux

emperor
February 7th, 2005, 08:51 PM
TurboTax Basic 2004 installs and works quite nicely in Ubuntu using Codeweavers Crossover Office Standard 4.1 (CX 4.1). I also have found that Quicken 2000 installs and work great too. Codeweaver's Standard wine is well worth the $36 (reduced sale price) as it provides a much more polished installation and running environment. Anyone can install it too! I have also used Win4Lin but patching the rebuilding the kernel is a pain and not worth for Turbotax and Quicken which run so nicely in CX 4.1.

P.S. itunes 4.6 now installs and works nicely too, just no cd burning/rippiing support which is not a problem since Linux provides other tools for this.

az
February 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM
For those who want to avoid proprietary crap altogether, does anyone know if the online tax operations work well will firefox? Some of them do a ridiculous OS scan...

afilonov
June 19th, 2006, 03:09 AM
HR Block works fine with Mozilla and Firefox

afilonov
March 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
A new update on HR Block online tax preparation (hrblock.dom or taxcut.com). I did my 2006 taxes again on this site. It works fine with Ubuntu Dapper and Firefox. It check OS, warns that this OS is not supported but allows to proceed anyway. All functions, including chat support, worked correctly. The only small problem was downloading final 1040: download doesn't start automatically, but you can press a link to download manually.

The main plus of HR Block site: you don't pay until you are ready to file.

moore.bryan
March 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
freetaxusa (http://www.freetaxusa.com/) has always worked for me...

%hMa@?b<C
March 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM
freetaxusa (http://www.freetaxusa.com/) has always worked for me...

Free For Qualified Individuals
Online tax preparation, e-filing, and printing of your federal income return are FREE if you live in one of the following states: AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NE, NJ, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, UT, VA, or WV and if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $52,000 or less.

It does a great job at excluding Massachusetts.

moore.bryan
March 26th, 2007, 12:53 PM
It does a great job at excluding Massachusetts.
yeah, i never quite figured that one out...

Biochem
March 27th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Then move a little bit north and use Impotexpert.ca :cool: It's free for qualifying individual.

cstudent
March 27th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I used Taxact.com's online filing this year with Firefox and my Ubuntu desktop. Everything worked well. It included free online filing of the federal return. Ohio has it's own online way of filing state taxes.