PDA

View Full Version : I'm ready for the next level

mrtaber
March 14th, 2006, 09:11 PM
For me, Linux has been ready for the desktop for awhile--if I'm talking word processing spreadsheets, IM, email, surfing. Now, I'm ready for the next jump. I'll be dual-booting Windows XP still (I need Canon's photo repair software in their drivers, and my CanoScan isn't supported (yet?) by SANE); and DVD-ripping-and-encoding software still doesn't seem ready for primetime in Linux). However, I will be (through a NAS) using my media (FLAC files and AVI [XviD-AC3 or MP3 soundtrack] videos) in Linux--if I can.

FLAC will be no problem. It's the video that I'm worried about. Is anyone ripping-encoding DVDs using XviD and AC3 and/or MP3 successfully? I'd like to hear your experiences.

Part of my trepidation is sheer laziness, I will admit. My day gig is technical (former programmer, now a DBA); I don't mind tweaking at home--I rather like it. But I don't want to spend all weekend trying to get video to play, and then find out it's substandard to boot.

So wish me luck as I move closer to (for me) a full desktop Linux box...one that I can play FLAC, work with photos and scans, and play (and rip-encode?) DVDs on. (The rip-encode is important, because I'll be purchasing iAudio's A2 portable media player...plays FLAC, OGG, MPEG4, AVI, etc., etc. It's sweet!)

Thanks,
Can't wait for Dapper,
Mark :)

nalmeth
March 14th, 2006, 11:14 PM
For DVD ripping I use acidrip, but others seem to use DVD::RIP, and I think you can even use k3b for that too. Quite ready.

But I don't want to spend all weekend trying to get video to play, and then find out it's substandard to boot.
Run automatix and you'll get all the formats you'll need, best of luck with your scanner