PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Which version of Ubuntu should I use?

David_UK
April 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
Hi

My PC specs:
Intel Celeron 2.66GHz, 512 RAM, 7gig space. Graphics is ATI Radeon 9250

Ubuntu 9.04 seems to run ok, but I play BZflag which has a poor frame rate of about 20fps or less. Changing the display options in the game makes little difference so I'm thinking the CPU may be overloaded?

Any suggestions as to a lighter version of ubuntu I could try (as long as I can also run openoffice though).

Many thanks

sau99ms
April 3rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hi

My PC specs:
Intel Celeron 2.66GHz, 512 RAM, 7gig space. Graphics is ATI Radeon 9250

Ubuntu 9.04 seems to run ok, but I play BZflag which has a poor frame rate of about 20fps or less. Changing the display options in the game makes little difference so I'm thinking the CPU may be overloaded?

Any suggestions as to a lighter version of ubuntu I could try (as long as I can also run openoffice though).

Many thanks

Hi David,

Have you considered either upgrading to Karmic 9.10 which seems to be a bit easier on hardware than 9.04 Jaunty or failing that Xubuntu might be your cup of tea - Xubuntu is a very lightweight distribution based on ubuntu but with the XFCE desktop (not a lot of difference between XFCE and GNOME) and I use it on my netbook because it's so light on resources. This might just suit your hardware. You'll have to install openoffice through synaptic but that's no real biggie.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Requiem
April 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
If regular Karmic is too heavy for your PC Xubuntu is not going to help because the choice of desktop is not as relevant as the choices in applications.

Rather install fluxbox into xubuntu (since fluxbuntu is outdated) and use lighter applications like claw instead of evolution and midori instead of firefox.

David_UK
April 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hi Mark

...upgrading to Karmic 9.10 which seems to be a bit easier on hardware than 9.04 Jaunty...
Ah, now that's interesting. I've found some specs for Ubuntu 9.10 - they recommend P4 1GHz minimum for the desktop version - which I imagine is faster than my Celeron 2.66GHz. I've tried upgrading to 9.10 but the game still did not run particularly well.

...Xubuntu might be your cup of tea...
I've been suggested that by another user too, so I'll give it a go - thanks!

...If regular Karmic is too heavy for your PC...Hmmm, I'm not sure it is too heavy in general. All the other apps seem to run pretty well, not that I've used it a great deal. I suppose it might be a graphics driver issue though - I'll look into it some more. Thanks for your input!

sau99ms
April 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hi Mark

Ah, now that's interesting. I've found some specs for Ubuntu 9.10 - they recommend P4 1GHz minimum for the desktop version - which I imagine is faster than my Celeron 2.66GHz. I've tried upgrading to 9.10 but the game still did not run particularly well.

I've been suggested that by another user too, so I'll give it a go - thanks!

Hmmm, I'm not sure it is too heavy in general. All the other apps seem to run pretty well, not that I've used it a great deal. I suppose it might be a graphics driver issue though - I'll look into it some more. Thanks for your input!

Hi David,

No problem - I hope I helped somewhere along the line?

Best wishes,

Mark

sau99ms
April 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM
If regular Karmic is too heavy for your PC Xubuntu is not going to help because the choice of desktop is not as relevant as the choices in applications.

Rather install fluxbox into xubuntu (since fluxbuntu is outdated) and use lighter applications like claw instead of evolution and midori instead of firefox.

I was under the impression that Xubuntu was a lighter install as there are lighter versions of programs eg Abiword instead of OPen office by default. Does just the job on my netbook and did a great job on an old G3 iMac that had OS 9 on and was complete doorstep until I Xubuntu'd it!