PDA

View Full Version : Do You Love Linux or Hate Windows?

chessnerd
April 3rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Some people see loving Linux and hating Windows like peanut butter and jelly. Sure, you can have a sandwich with just one, but who does that? Well, I've never liked jelly much, so I've always had just peanut butter sandwiches (both literally and in the terms of this metaphor). I've no hatred of Windows, but I do have a love of Linux.

For some, however, the two are a binary, yin-yang, proton-electron type of relationship. You can't really have one without the other.

So here is my question, which is stronger: your love of Linux or your hatred of Windows?

I'm perfectly fine with Windows, and was never a dissatisfied Windows user. I even found Vista to be quite enjoyable. In fact, Linux has brought me far more frustration than Windows ever did. So why do I use it?

Windows NT is not a bad line of operating systems. They are all pretty stable, powerful, and can do everything that I want. So why did I leave the comfort of Redmond?

In fact, compared to my recent hardships with Karmic, I've found that Windows can be more stable than Linux. I also found that Linux causes my CPU temp to raise much more than on Windows, which is possibly the cause of my Linux crashes. Also, Linux's support for my wireless card hasn't been very good. So why don't I just go back to Windows?

Because Linux is better.

Its power and no-nonsense design make it easier for me to get work done. Its configurability allows me to create a desktop that works as I desire, and not as how some programmer thinks I want it to work. Its Update Manager updates everything from the OS to the applications, making it easier for me to manage. I can go in and cut out things like Bluetooth support because my hardware doesn't have it. I feel like I own my system, instead of feeling like I'm just using it. And all this for the low, low price of $0.00.

I use Linux, not because it's an alternative to Windows, but because I see Windows as the alternative to Linux.

PryGuy
April 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
Because Linux is better.
Agree! I mostly work with the server edition of Ubuntu, and as I see Windows server is a far cry from Linux server. Linux servers beat the Windows servers in speed, stability and ease of configuration hands down!

Linuxforall
April 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
No love or hate, MS needs upgrade in real sense, architecture, new file system, no registry, otherwise solid OS and wide support. Sad part is that it is overpriced and Linux provides a very good, secure, viable and free alternative.

lisati
April 3rd, 2010, 09:11 AM
Neither love nor hate either - I just use what suits me for the task at hand.

Daedal
April 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
i wouldn't say i hate windows so much as dislike it. the longer i use linux the more i love it and strange enough the longer i spend away from windows the more i like it too... and then i boot up vista to play a game that is poorly or just not supported in Wine and wish that i hadn't left my linux partition.

like you said linux has it's problems but they're problems you get to work around or fix yourself instead of having to wait for someone else to make a fix for it. if there's a problem you don't know how to fix there's likely to be someone else out there who has had to fix it themselves or can help fix it. it's also always nice fixing a problem because you end up learning more and are more likely to be able to fix or avoid other small problems that come up on your own.

the problems i've had in windows were fixed either by rolling back before installing an update in windows or just had to wait until there was an update to fix it. oh and resource problems causing WoW to crash after a few hours of play.

note32
April 3rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Don't Really Care for Windows But Love Linux:P

haddog
April 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM

Ditto

DaveHi
April 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Guess I just fell for the feel of Linux, I'm no techie but the way Linux runs just feels more natural than Windows.

Anyway, better class of Geek to dig you out of the Doo Doo on Linux forums!!!

Nickedynick
April 3rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
If I'm honest I do hate the way Microsoft go about certain aspects of business. However, that has little to no impact on how I feel about Windows as a product.

In my eyes, Windows is good - not brilliant, not bad, but just enough to get what you want to do done. On the other hand, Linux seems exciting - the amount of development there's been since I started using Feisty a couple of years back is incredible! The pace of Ubuntu's progression alone is very impressive. To me, Ubuntu feels a much nicer environment to work with, and is also starting to feel more stable than Windows in certain areas.

So yes, I love Linux rather than hating Windows.

fela
April 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
I don't really love Linux as it has many flaws. Yes lots of these are down to third party (lack of) support, but *alot* I'll have you know are down to bad organisation, no dev motives, etc etc...

I do have a kind of hate for windows though (even though I use it as my main OS), because it's so closed and non-expressive of how it actually works behind all the fancy aero and that.

ctrlmd
April 3rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
what about i like both option
windows,linux have there advantages and disadvantages

i don't hate an operating system that have been made to serve users
it's a software nothing else.

purgatori
April 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
I love Linux, and am indifferent to Windows. Philosophy used to play a bigger part in my choice of Linux over Windows, but now it's mostly a matter of work efficiency. Linux has a robust CLI with correspondingly robust CLI applications, powerful and convenient window management systems (such as wmii and scrotwm), and really offers a great amount of freedom in terms of assembling your own tool-set(s) to work on various project(s). Linux is also much more friendly on old hardware that would be thoroughly outdated in the Windows world. For all these reasons and more, Linux is my OS of choice; NOT because I 'hate' Windows.

At the same time though, I am not sympathetic to efforts within the Linux community to recreate the Windows 'desktop experience' on Linux. This to me represents nothing more than a waste of resources that could be better channeled into projects in-line with the unique strengths of Linux. As I have always said, those who want to use Windows should, well, use Windows.

CharlesA
April 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM

This.

Biased poll is biased. There is no "Don't care" option.

Wait, this is Ubuntuforums.. nvm. <sarcasmtaggoeshere>

Chronon
April 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
what about i like both option
windows,linux have there advantages and disadvantages

i don't hate an operating system that have been made to serve users
it's a software nothing else.

So just choose "I love linux". It doesn't imply that you hate Windows.

RabbitWho
April 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
I love linux!

I feel like a chimp when I try to use Windows now, there are so many things I want to do that just don't seem to be possible without downloading some program that probably has viruses on it. But lots of people don't need to use those things, and there are lots of great things about windows.
So hurrah! Everybody wins!

RandomJoe
April 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm happiest with Linux, it lets me do what I want to do and otherwise gets out of my way.

But I don't dislike Windows. Up to XP, I sure had my fun with deriding it on occasion, but since then (aside from more moments of fun with Vista) it's worked just fine. I only use it at work though. I did consider buying a copy of Win7 to replace my decrepit Win2K VM, but the cost is just too high for the relatively rare use it gets.

It is still briefly entertaining to get into a "Windows stinks" argument if I run across a rabid MS supporter, but those are really quite few and far between for me. And I just don't care enough to keep up the charade - I just like tweaking them a bit! :)

speedwell68
April 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
I don't hate Microsoft or Windows, I just hate using Windows. I use it at work every day, just for basic office stuff. Since I have been using Linux for about 5 years I just find Windows more and more alien every day.

julianb
April 3rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
I even found Vista to be quite enjoyable.

A year or two after Vista came out, it reached the milestone of being about as good as WinXP when used on a fast computer. If Microsoft got their way in terms of everybody buying fast computers and all developers wanting to use the latest & greatest OS, Vista would have been a real success at that point.

People actually ARE adopting Win7 because it's a pretty useful product.

However, if you can do without the vast hardware&software compatibility of Windows, then Ubuntu (especially Lucid) is the way to go. File-search software, software for making the best use of the internet ... Ubuntu has the edge.

Bachstelze
April 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
None of the above.

madnessjack
April 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
I hate them both ;)

dearingj
April 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure which is stronger, my love for Linux or my hate for Windows. Linux is great for all the reasons mentioned. Windows 7 BSODs on me with alarming regularity, even more often than Windows 98SE did back when I had that.

c00lwaterz
April 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
I want linux and also same for windows. because I need to be flexible. I want to use linux but having issues high temp. I don't want to burn my laptop. I have research but no luck. I use windows because more compatible with my laptop.

I always check if linux fix the issue. and I also test it before installing using live cd. if the problem is still there, then I have option to work on. I use both.

I need options than relying on one OS that I can't use my laptop.:guitar:

mamamia88
April 3rd, 2010, 02:21 PM
hating any os is stupid. i personally run linux because it works better on my hardware. i bought this computer right as vista came out without the knowledge that they where just slapping vista on computers made for xp. needless to say it was slow as heck so gave up on vista and now i solely use ubuntu

Doctor Mike
April 3rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Neither: pointless without neither option.

RiceMonster
April 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
They both suck.

Psumi
April 3rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
I hate windows.

Rainulf
April 3rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
I love both. But I use Linux because it's free and open source. =D

jrusso2
April 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
I used to love Linux. I started using it because it was so stable. Now it seems that they are releasing too much unstable things as stable.

Lately i have been finding OS X to be a good alternative that works where as with Linux you never know what will work.

sixthwheel
April 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Love Ubuntu.

Hate Windows

Admire Microsoft.

Frogs Hair
April 3rd, 2010, 09:45 PM
I use W7 and Ubuntu 9.10 and they both run good on my computer. Maybe my experience
with Ubuntu is the exception rather than the rule , but every thing I try on 9.10 simply works.

PC_load_letter
April 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
There is no option for "Both"!?

DrMelon
April 3rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
I use Linux for work: it's sensible, it's fast, it keeps things organized and it helps with the kind of work I do.

I use Windows for leisure: gaming and things are much easier and have more variety on windows.

So yeah, I love Linux, I don't hate windows.

Hyper Tails
April 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
I love both windows and Linux

phibxr
April 4th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I would say that I love that I've got the freedom to run Linux, but I somewhat hate being bound to using an ActiveX-platform for my job as a freelance translator - and I give Windows the blame for that.

I'm sure there are ways around it, Virtual Machines etc., but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Windows 7 is a pretty well designed operating system, but it still leaves me with a bad taste in the mouth when I have to use it.

Kind of like having to use a public restroom at 03 in the morning on a saturday. It gets the job done, but that's it, and you just want to get out as soon as possible.

handy
April 4th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I'm very satisfied with the experience of using Arch Linux.

I don't like using OS X, but prefer it by a long shot from using windows. I can foresee the day when in old age my mind has deteriorated to the point that OS X, (or whatever it is called then) may be all I'm capable of using, as it is built to be easy for dummies to use.

I must admit that since I retired from fixing other people's windows problems over 4.5 years ago, I haven't used windows, so I'm not familiar with Vista or 7.

I think that love & hate are words that are far too strong to use in this subject. Thankfully I don't know what hate feels like.

JDShu
April 4th, 2010, 01:00 AM
If you like Linux and Windows equally, then your love of Linux exceeds your hatred of Windows. Conversely, If you think they both suck, then your hate of Windows exceeds your love of Linux. The choices are there. The only time your opinion isn't represented is when your hatred of windows is exactly equal to your love of Linux.

Anyway, when I used to use Windows I hated it. Now that its something that other people use I no longer hate it. I used to love Linux when I first started using it cause it was new and interesting. Now I love it less, but its still a very useful OS.

Primefalcon
April 4th, 2010, 01:26 AM
I don't know I just like Ubuntu more, the ease of delegating tasks to an auto script, with in-built high level encryption, Ubuntu does everything I need it to.... And it is typically an easier task

I do have a windows partition that I might use once in a blue moon (every time I log into it though I have to reboot a few times due to updates since I don't use it very much at all, which is annoying....)

handy
April 4th, 2010, 04:39 AM
If you like Linux and Windows equally, then your love of Linux exceeds your hatred of Windows. Conversely, If you think they both suck, then your hate of Windows exceeds your love of Linux. The choices are there. The only time your opinion isn't represented is when your hatred of windows is exactly equal to your love of Linux.

Anyway, when I used to use Windows I hated it. Now that its something that other people use I no longer hate it. I used to love Linux when I first started using it cause it was new and interesting. Now I love it less, but its still a very useful OS.

I still don't think the words are being used correctly.

Both love & hate are very strong & powerful words.

It would seem that the common abuse of the words has caused their meanings to be diluted to such an extent that their true meaning has been lost.

Which I think is very unfortunate.

When some one says I love you. What does it mean? It would seem that it can mean anything from a heartfelt emotion to just being superficially happy with whatever at the moment.

I could easily draw a similar parallel with the word hate, but I don't think I need to.

tekkidd
April 4th, 2010, 04:46 AM
when im using linux i feel like im in a warm coffee house talking to friends

when im using windows i feel like im in the middle of nowhere standing alone in the cold

witeshark17
April 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I love Linux far more than I hate windows... :guitar:

MasterNetra
April 4th, 2010, 05:00 AM
No love or hate, MS needs upgrade in real sense, architecture, new file system, no registry, otherwise solid OS and wide support. Sad part is that it is overpriced and Linux provides a very good, secure, viable and free alternative.

Not always free as in free beer, Red Hat cost money. Of course the top distro's are indeed free.

swoll1980
April 4th, 2010, 05:03 AM
No.

Chronon
April 4th, 2010, 05:08 AM
It would seem that the common abuse of the words has caused their meanings to be diluted to such an extent that their true meaning has been lost.

Which I think is very unfortunate.
There is no such thing as "true meaning". Meaning is only a convention to permit communication. Consensus reality seems like a moving raft, not a fixed foundation to me: Meaning changes as the attitudes of people change.

People will find words to express strong feelings so long as they experience them. I don't think this will change any time soon. The words we use may change as well as the meanings we attach to them, but I find this natural for a living language.

techunit
April 4th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I need both... Ubuntu for everything and then when I can't do something in Ubuntu I will get it done in Windows. A sad fact for me. I have been a proponent for opensource software for years, I hate Windows because it's big bulky and slow!I love ubuntu because it is light and agile. But Together you can get a decent balance and for me thats what I want...

TheNerdAL
April 4th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I can't choose both?! D:<<

Veteropinguis
April 4th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I think I'm one of the mythical 'average users' that the open-source community is always talking about. I use Ubuntu because my computer runs faster, it looks nicer, and I don't need to have a firewall and antivirus running all the time. Windows was actually pretty good to me, but I had one wonky experience where I couldn't log in, used an Ubuntu CD to get my files back, liked it, installed it, and now here I am. The learning curve was pretty shallow.

For me, primarily, an OS is just a tool. I currently use Windows 7 on my netbook (I think it would void my warranty if I put Ubuntu on it) and I prefer Ubuntu. However, I like XP just fine. I just use whatever tool is best for the job. I don't identify much with my choice of OS.

swoll1980
April 4th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I can't choose both?! D:<<

It has an 'or' operator. If either of the two conditions are met it's a yes. If neither are met it's a no.

handy
April 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM
There is no such thing as "true meaning".

You should think about that some more I think?

Meaning is only a convention to permit communication.

Rubbish. Communication is a method to relate meaning. The effectiveness of communication is measured by how well it does its job.

If words (particularly words that have meanings fundamental to human experience) have their meaning eroded, then the effectiveness of our communication has been eroded.

Consensus reality seems like a moving raft, not a fixed foundation to me: Meaning changes as the attitudes of people change.

So love & hate don't mean what they used to anymore, because people don't know what they mean?

People will find words to express strong feelings so long as they experience them.

When strong feelings have extremely well known names, that have been known throughout history, literature & societies for millennia, one would think that those words would be used correctly.

Also, the use of the correct words when describing something whether it has been personally experienced or not, is always the most effective method of communication, providing that those being communicated with have the required vocabulary.

I don't think this will change any time soon. The words we use may change as well as the meanings we attach to them, but I find this natural for a living language.

A language that is so alive, that it can loose the empirical meanings of the words love & hate, has become all the more poor in its fundamental purpose, which is communicating meaning effectively & efficiently?

Without the maintenance of meaning in our language, our language will lose the ability to express meaning accurately.

Imagine if the words in a technical manual had multiple meanings, it would create confusion, just as it would if units of measurement had multiple values.

themarker0
April 4th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Windows itself to me has no real problems. Linux has most of the same problems windows has (80% User errors) I just didn't like the change in UI, and some of the changes. Thats it really. Don't hate windows, i don't love linux per say either. Yes its a great OS, but if microsoft never made Vista or 7, i would still be on it, for sure.

Nisal
April 4th, 2010, 09:05 AM
linux is better so i love it,but iinux still have lot of disadvantages like lack of software support

Chronon
April 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM
You should think about that some more I think?
I could restate it as, "True meaning is all in your head."

Rubbish. Communication is a method to relate meaning. The effectiveness of communication is measured by how well it does its job.

If words (particularly words that have meanings fundamental to human experience) have their meaning eroded, then the effectiveness of our communication has been eroded.You seem to think there's some kind of inherent meaning. Words are just noises we make with our mouths. We construct meaning in our own minds, individually. I can choose to attach any meaning I want to any particular sequence of noises. In order to facilitate communication with others, I adopt meanings that I understand to be conventional to patterns of noises. I am not saying that communication is more fundamental than meaning. I am saying that we choose to attach particular meanings to certain phonemes to allow communication. Meaning isn't some objective, inherent given.

So love & hate don't mean what they used to anymore, because people don't know what they mean?Any person can take these words to mean various things. In the context of communication, meaning is a shared property. In other words greater overlap in the meaning attached to a word by speaker and listener implies greater fidelity in the transmission of ideas. You get to define what a word means in your head, but when communicating with someone else, it's the fidelity of the transmission that's important.

When strong feelings have extremely well known names, that have been known throughout history, literature & societies for millennia, one would think that those words would be used correctly.

Also, the use of the correct words when describing something whether it has been personally experienced or not, is always the most effective method of communication, providing that those being communicated with have the required vocabulary.
Again, I do not agree with the notion of narrow, fixed meanings for words. Do you really think language has remained static for millennia? How could anyone possibly know that without living for that entire period of time? We can only read things people have written in the past and interpret them from a contemporary vantage point. We cannot understand language as people of the time understood it.

A language that is so alive, that it can loose the empirical meanings of the words love & hate, has become all the more poor in its fundamental purpose, which is communicating meaning effectively & efficiently?
Love and hate are subjective emotions. They are not empirical in any way. I do not know why you view them as such. What units do love and hate have, if they are empirical quantities as you suggest? I see a language as useful for communication. As long as I feel that I can convey my perceptions I am satisfied. If the language, as spoken, changes and your language does not, then your language will prevent effective communication --- not everyone else's.

Without the maintenance of meaning in our language, our language will lose the ability to express meaning accurately.Maybe temporarily, but new conventions can always be found. In fact, I think most language changes slowly enough to obey a sort of quasi-static approximation (if you pardon the sloppy analogy to statistical mechanics). Language changes, but on day-to-day timescales we can count on words having a consistent meaning. However, new expressions and slang come and go during our lifetimes and some of these will stick and alter the way that our descendants use language.

Imagine if the words in a technical manual had multiple meanings, it would create confusion, just as it would if units of measurement had multiple values.
I agree, but technical language is already constructed to permit unambiguous encoding of information. This seems to have nothing to do with your objections about the words "love" and "hate", however. Words labeling units of measure are not subject to undergo changes in meaning, except by widespread consent.

======
I have enjoyed our exchange, but since it's pretty much completely off-topic for this thread this will be my last post here. Have a good night! :)

ElSlunko
April 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I like both. I love puppies more than both.

handy
April 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I could restate it as, "True meaning is all in your head."

What about the reality of the meaning in my heart, or my belly?

You seem to think there's some kind of inherent meaning. Words are just noises we make with our mouths.

Words are symbols of meaning. Have a look in a dictionary one day? (They can be silent also.;))

We construct meaning in our own minds, individually. I can choose to attach any meaning I want to any particular sequence of noises. In order to facilitate communication with others, I adopt meanings that I understand to be conventional to patterns of noises. I am not saying that communication is more fundamental than meaning. I am saying that we choose to attach particular meanings to certain phonemes to allow communication. Meaning isn't some objective, inherent given.

We didn't choose our native language, we inherit it usually from our parents.

If we choose meanings for words that aren't the accepted definitions then we create confusion.

Any person can take these words to mean various things.

Which means that they are confused as to what is the correct meaning of the word(s).

In the context of communication, meaning is a shared property. In other words greater overlap in the meaning attached to a word by speaker and listener implies greater fidelity in the transmission of ideas. You get to define what a word means in your head, but when communicating with someone else, it's the fidelity of the transmission that's important.

Clarity requires accurate definition.

Again, I do not agree with the notion of narrow, fixed meanings for words.

See above?

Do you really think language has remained static for millennia?

How could I be so myopic? What I see happening is the degeneration of language; spelling, grammar, the ability to construct a sentence. All of these things are being eroded by our modern IT. Kids text messaging themselves into the land of abbreviation.

How could anyone possibly know that without living for that entire period of time? We can only read things people have written in the past and interpret them from a contemporary vantage point. We cannot understand language as people of the time understood it.

There are many who study linguistics/semantics in an effort to extend our understanding of the life, times & psychology of our forbears.

Love and hate are subjective emotions.

Both of them have the ability to effect those around them, in both subjective & objective fashions.

They are not empirical in any way.

:shock:

I do not know why you view them as such. What units do love and hate have, if they are empirical quantities as you suggest?

You misunderstood my meaning.

They are qualities that would have always existed in human (at the very least) experience.

I see a language as useful for communication. As long as I feel that I can convey my perceptions I am satisfied. If the language, as spoken, changes and your language does not, then your language will prevent effective communication --- not everyone else's.

So, if due to the circumstances of a time, the peoples' use of language degenerates, that's ok with you?

Personally, I (who am not well educated) try to do the best I can with language, in an effort to be able to communicate effectively & to improve a skill, rather than let it diminish due to laziness &/or fashion.

...However, new expressions and slang come and go during our lifetimes and some of these will stick and alter the way that our descendants use language.

For better or worse, yes, I agree.

I agree, but technical language is already constructed to permit unambiguous encoding of information. This seems to have nothing to do with your objections about the words "love" and "hate", however. Words labeling units of measure are not subject to undergo changes in meaning, except by widespread consent.

My point is that the consistency of meaning can be fundamental to effective communication.

I agree that dynamism of language is important. It has to change with the circumstances of the times.

My gripe (as has been stated multiple times) is that our collective language skills are degenerating due to technological circumstances.

The mobile phone & texting very likely being the prime culprit.

======
I have enjoyed our exchange, but since it's pretty much completely off-topic for this thread this will be my last post here. Have a good night! :)

Thanks, I've enjoyed it also. :)

Take care.

sdowney717
April 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM
If companies ported to linux their applications, MS windows would have no reason to exist.
If MS windows ceased to be meaningful, then a lot of malware writers would have little reason to exist. They self perpetuate each other. Hardware companies can be more os independent, and mostly just create what they can to make the greatest amount of money and that means creating devices designed for windows. I could imagine if linux were to become dominant, malware written for linux could become a problem.

The whole give it away concept of free software is just so alien to the ms culture that they know they cant compete against it and must fight it on every possible front or become a company selling a product nobody needs anymore.
There is also a whole lot of intellectual property tied up into the ms windows culture, and that is not easily broken.

sudoer541
April 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I love and hate windows and linux the same way!

Tristam Green
April 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM
They both suck.

^

loaded poll options are loaded (i have a feeling this has been already said, more than once).

kaldor
April 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Not that I love Linux, I just love UNIX and FOSS.

Linux is Free and Open source and is a UNIX clone. I also love OpenSolaris and *BSD. Alternatives are interesting too, such as Haiku and Syllable.

I do hate Windows though. I have never had a good experience and I feel like I need to fight with the computer when I shouldn't.

MichealH
April 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Recurring Discussions [-(

I like them both they both have their pros and cons. Windows with the dreaded BSOD and Linux with the Kernel Panic which I have only ever got 0 times :D

beetleman64
April 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I don't feel a burning hatred of Windows (although Microsoft is another matter), it's a reasonably well designed and though out OS which does have its strengths (such as not using brown or purple for its default colour scheme).

However, Linux has less problems and they are less serious. Moreover, paying over £100 for Windows 7 (which is basically just Vista+) is a bit of a rip-off, especially considering that you'll have to pay another £40 per year for anti-virus protection.

MichealH
April 5th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I don't feel a burning hatred of Windows (although Microsoft is another matter), it's a reasonably well designed and though out OS which does have its strengths (such as not using brown or purple for its default colour scheme).

However, Linux has less problems and they are less serious. Moreover, paying over £100 for Windows 7 (which is basically just Vista+) is a bit of a rip-off, especially considering that you'll have to pay another £40 per year for anti-virus protection.

Or get Avg/avast! Free editions.

BuffaloX
April 6th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Love and hate are very strong words IMO.
I don't love Linux and I don't hate Windows.

I hate the fact that there has been too little competition to Windows for two decades now. I would love to see something else succeed.
Apple is doing pretty well right now, but more players are needed, because Apple is even more control freaks than Microsoft.

I don't love Linux, it has a few shortcomings IMO. (not the kernal, but any OS based on it.)
These shortcomings are partly due to my lack of skill, but still it means I can't do stuff in Linux that I could do in Windows more than 10 years ago.

What I really love is the GPL, this is what really tilt the balance for me in favor of GNU/Linux.

My dream scenario would be two strong FOSS systems competing equally with the proprietary systems, all having +10% market share, and preferably one or more that to some degree target hobbyists like the venerable Amiga.

But it's hard to even dream up a scenario that would make computing cool and exciting again like it was in the 80's.

J V
April 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I love linux cause its so good, I hate windows cause its so bad compared to linux... Should have been checkboxes :P

jjpcexpert
August 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
The only reason I('d) use Windows is to test my Cygwin Live DVD I created on Linux using Wine (yes, Wine) and Brasero.

jjpcexpert
August 23rd, 2011, 10:43 PM
Windows itself to me has no real problems. Linux has most of the same problems windows has (80% User errors) I just didn't like the change in UI, and some of the changes. Thats it really. Don't hate windows, i don't love linux per say either. Yes its a great OS, but if microsoft never made Vista or 7, i would still be on it, for sure.
I use Linux for everything I need it for.
The only reason I have a Windows box (acquired recently) and not going to reformat it to Linux ext3 is because I need a Cygwin Live DVD testing system.
Still, me h8z windows for it's bugginess, near total lack of freedom-software, dangerous integration with M$ Internet Exploder/Exploiter/Explorer/Expander/Imploder/whatever-er etc.
I like Linux because of the unusualities I have become used to, like mounting devices (this happens behind the scenes on windows so you do not know about it, but you need to) and /etc, /home, /usr, /tmp, and just basic Unix.

$@899:34d An error has occurred that you use Windows for testing Cygwin. Please use Wine for testing Cygwin (point is you cannot due to X stuff, unless you use virtual desktop window)...@$

Also, I need to know why I am so weird to install an external 802.11 card into an internal USB port provided by a USB card. PM me for replies to this request. Also, should I start an unofficial Cygwin discussion thread (maybe start a new forums site?), and AVOID getting it stickied so it may die a natural death?

KiwiNZ
August 23rd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Sleep thread, sleep. dreams await you