PDA

View Full Version : How do I create this simple curve in inkscape?

hanzj
April 3rd, 2010, 06:27 AM
How do I create this simple curve in inkscape using the bezier tool (pen tool) (Ctrl+B)?
Trying to create the curve is such a challenge for me. Please give me step by step direction, or, if you have the facility, a screencast. Thanks.

http://verysimpledesigns.com/vsd_media/inkscape_tutorial_fancy_borders/vsd_tut_border_path.png

TheNerdAL
April 3rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
This might help: http://www.ehow.com/how_5227378_make-curve-wave-software-inkscape.html

hanzj
April 3rd, 2010, 06:35 AM
Step 4 says:

Notice the circle handles on each side of the node (see circle 6).

I don't notice the handles popping out. It could be because the ehow is outdated. I don't know how to continue.

TheNerdAL
April 3rd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Do you see the black diamond? Try clicking that.

Jay Car
April 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
"I don't notice the handles popping out. It could be because the ehow is outdated. I don't know how to continue."

The bezier tool is towards the bottom of the tools, just hover your cursor over the tools to get information on what they do. You'll see it.

Using that tool, click somewhere on the drawing board to start, click again where you want the curve to begin, hold down the left mouse button to create the curves (it takes practice to get comfortable with this). Each curve will have nodes that you can edit to adjust the line.

When your line is finished, just double-click to end it. That's when you'll see the editable nodes.

Use the node editing tool (second tool from the top) to move/adjust the bezier points. As you click on the nodes with the tool, the bezier points will show.

It's funny, that all sounds so much more complicated than it really is to do. After all these years of working with Illustrator and Inkscape I just do it without thinking about it. I'm probably not so good at describing it, but still, maybe it will help get you started.

Google for Inkscape tutorials, you'll find a lot of them. Have fun with it.

Jose Catre-Vandis
April 3rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
Another way is to simply click -> move -> click -> move -> click.

You should have a straightish line. Double click on your line to see the three nodes you have created. Go to the middle of the line between two nodes, click on it a push up or down, it will start to curve. Select the middle node and convert it to a rounded node to get a more curvy effect. Use CTRL + L to smooth if needs be.

Click on png file below to see steps

m.rankovic
April 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
video

hugmenot
April 6th, 2010, 04:29 PM
video

You should have made the middle node symmetric in the end.

hanzj
April 7th, 2010, 04:07 AM
thank you, everyone, for all the help.