PDA

View Full Version : VideoLAN just bought by RealNetworks!?

geoffm
April 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Is it me or this is horrible?

VideoLAN acquired by RealNetworks (http://www.videolan.org/news.html)

2010-04-01

VideoLAN is proud to announce that it has been acquired by RealNetworks, the world's premiere provider of Internet media delivery tools. RealNetworks will be working with VideoLAN over the next few months to leverage the powerful Real toolset to improve VLC media player and other VideoLAN software. Accordingly, with the introduction of Real's superior solutions, we will be dropping all other encoders from the streaming component of VLC media player. Additionally, to better serve our customers, we will be introducing a new VLC media player Pro application, with cutting edge streaming capabilities and the ability to play back and edit all Real video and audio formats. This new application will be available for the low low price of $30/€30. We hope you enjoy the new VLC media player!

Are they saying regular VLC will not stream other formats than realmedia?

TuckLive
April 3rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
Check the posting date of your link ;)

Dobbie03
April 3rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
If that is the case that sucks.

buddyd16
April 3rd, 2010, 05:32 AM
hopefully it is just an april fools joke, based on the date of the post.

sandyd
April 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
Is it me or this is horrible?

Are they saying regular VLC will not stream other formats than realmedia?

no. it means that it will be using their own encoders/codecs to run it. their own encoders/ codecs include mp3, wav, ogg... .etc.etc. however, i will scream if they make it play any wmv file properly.

doorknob60
April 3rd, 2010, 06:01 AM
A day late for this?

Glenn nl
April 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
2010-04-01

Lol

PryGuy
April 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
I definitely do no not like such type of jokes. :(

haddog
April 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM
I definitely do no not like such type of jokes. :(

Me neither. That would be all bad!

spoons
April 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Wouldn't it just be forked if this was the case?

3rdalbum
April 3rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
I hope nobody does April Fools next year, because there are too many people around who get fooled and then post comments about how outraged they are. The hubbub continues well past April 1st as well, so some people will only hear about it on April 3rd and perhaps not be able to tell that it was just an April Fools prank.

I mean, seriously - Improv Everywhere last year posted about a mission they'd done where they crash a guy's funeral. The mission never happened, it was an April Fool's joke; I think many outraged people still believe that IE pretended to be friends with a man at his funeral. This year IE posted about a "No Underware" subway ride, in the same vein as their famous yearly "No Pants" subway rides. They've copped so much flak and abuse from people who didn't realise that No Underware was merely an April Fools prank and didn't actually happen.

All April Fools shows us now is that there are a heck of a lot of fools...

eksasol
April 3rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
With that said I never really use VLC so the news if real wouldn't effect me, but would still be bad for free softwares even though the decoders it include isn't necessarily all free. I tend to prefer players that use third party plugins, though thats what VLC is on linux. So I only see the interface of the app, the extra customization features of the app, then the decoder it uses. It's more freedom in my view, the opposite of Google Chrome.

On Windows I prefer MPC+ffdshow. On linux its Totem or MPlayer + GStreamer. In fact, Opera is adopting GStreamer too. Keep it light and simple.

I think VLC1.1 will begin to interest me though because of the introduction of addons. I like the idea of light app and being modular. This reminds of Firefox or foobar2000, if I can play videos with foobar as well then it'll be the only media player I need.

Psumi
April 3rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Good riddance to videoLAN, I never used it unless gstreamer or xine didn't play my DVDs.

*facepalm*

Then I read the date. why do ALL the good things have to happen on April fools?

Ric_NYC
April 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
If it is true... It would be terrible.

RealNetworks is a walking zombie.

chriswyatt
April 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
I hope nobody does April Fools next year, because there are too many people around who get fooled and then post comments about how outraged they are. The hubbub continues well past April 1st as well, so some people will only hear about it on April 3rd and perhaps not be able to tell that it was just an April Fools prank.

I mean, seriously - Improv Everywhere last year posted about a mission they'd done where they crash a guy's funeral. The mission never happened, it was an April Fool's joke; I think many outraged people still believe that IE pretended to be friends with a man at his funeral. This year IE posted about a "No Underware" subway ride, in the same vein as their famous yearly "No Pants" subway rides. They've copped so much flak and abuse from people who didn't realise that No Underware was merely an April Fools prank and didn't actually happen.

All April Fools shows us now is that there are a heck of a lot of fools...

It's a great tradition, if people didn't fall for it then that would defeat the point.

The writing-style of this article alone gives it away I think, you can tell they tried not to make it look too official. Also an official statement would most likely link to an announcement on Real's website as well.