PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] KOffice vs OO.o (just security wise)

insecureboy
April 3rd, 2010, 04:06 AM
Doess anyone have some strong opinion on which is better (only in terms of security and nothing else like ms compatibility .......)

And whyYYYyYYyYYyyYyYyYyyYYYYYyYyyYYYyYYYYYyYyYYYYYyyY Yy (plz explain why)

if someone knows of a good article comparing the two plz post here

cariboo
April 3rd, 2010, 05:56 AM
What do you mean which one is more secure? Neither program opens up any ports, so whats the problem?

insecureboy
April 3rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
What do you mean which one is more secure? Neither program opens up any ports, so whats the problem?

As far as I know a macro language is an essential part of every office productivity appp.

OO.o has a macro language that allows for code execution with all the privileges that the OO.o user has. ( maybe not exactly with all of them i don't know maybe maybe not oh i got confused again LOL )

here is an article about a proof of concept macro virus
http://www.openoffice.org/press/statement-proof-of-concept-virus.html

No disrespect but I am actually shocked u asked because i thought protecting the users as* in office apps was one of the major security issues for large iT companies.

remember that melissa thing that was a widespread in 2000 ( ofcourse that was ms office but that doesn't change the fact that someday someone is eventually gonna write a macro virus for OO.o and we know about it after it affected a large number of computers )

And other than that there might be kind of bugs or security threats that i don't know of ...... so its always best to askkkkkkkkkkk.

Pjotr123
April 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Some of the keys on your keyboard seem stuck.

Apart from that: security holes will continue to appear in whichever piece of software you care to name, including both of the office suites you mentioned.

All that' s not important. What matters is, how short the response time is from the developers. Quick security bug fixes, that' s what counts. In general, security bug fixes for Open Office are pretty quick. I suppose that goes for KOffice as well.

cariboo
April 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
You're still stuck in a Windows state of mind. Running a Linux variant the normal user can only create/change/delete files in their home directory, and nowhere else. In order for malware to propagate, it needs access to the whole system. The only way this can be done is if the malware is run as root.

For any malware to infect your system, you are responsible for doing it. Social engineering is the usual way for an exploit to be installed.

As stated in the page you linked to, the user has to allow a macro to run, before it can do anything. As far as I'm concerned, the user is the biggest threat to the system.

As Pjotr123 said, you may want to check your keyboard. :)