PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu "Spins"

DJRWolf
April 3rd, 2010, 03:34 AM
A Linux class I need to take uses Fedora so I was looking though their download options and noticed something they call "Spins". They are copies of Fedora bundled in different ways. Such as a "Light" for older hardware, a "Games" one with a bunch of pre-installed games, and one with extra educational software installed.

I for one would like to have just a general "Spin" for Ubuntu with lots of extra programs installed from the start (and also therefore on the Live CD).

Genius314
April 3rd, 2010, 03:41 AM
Well there's Mint, which comes with some extra codecs, and most likely some extra programs. There's Xubuntu for a lightweight desktop, Kubuntu for all your KDE needs, Edubuntu for educational programs, and Ubuntu Studio for all the creative programs.

I'm not sure what else you had in mind, though. :)

Dharmachakra
April 3rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
There are a ridiculous number of Ubuntu "spins."

tgalati4
April 3rd, 2010, 04:01 AM
So, in effect, you want your own, customized, Ubuntu spin for Live CD use. Search the forums on how to create your own Live CD. It's not difficult. It does require some hard disk space and patience. It will probably take a few tries to get it right.

Warpnow
April 3rd, 2010, 06:37 AM
I, for one, think that the various versions of Ubuntu are a bit annoying. A DVD where you choose which Desktop Environment, what programs, ect, you want, like with Ubuntu Studio, would be much more preferrable.