PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] Invalid PPC ISOs or invalid instructions?

svu
April 3rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
I am trying to recover my Ubuntu (from broken 10.04 installation) on Power G4. The Superdrive is not functioning - so I am trying to give USB boot a try. The are instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

I am following them... Up to the point where hdiutil has to convert .iso to .dmg:

Convert the .iso file to .img using the convert option of hdiutil (e.g., hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/kubuntu.iso) Note: OS X tends to put the .dmg ending on the output file automatically.

No luck. I am getting the error. Same thing actually happens with the release ISO 9.10. Tried on 2 Macs:

$ hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o out.img lucid-alternate-powerpc.iso
Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…
Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 1)…
Reading Ubuntu 10.04 ppc (Apple_ISO : 2)…
Reading Ubuntu 10.04 ppc (Apple_HFS : 3)…
.................................................. ............................
Usage: hdiutil convert -format <format> -o <outfile> [options] <image>
hdiutil convert -help

With -versbose, I getting the error code 22

DIDiskImageConvertWithDiskImage: converter returned 22

hdiutil: convert: result: 22

Any ideas? How could I make bootable flash?

lookup
March 13th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I am trying to recover my Ubuntu (from broken 10.04 installation) on Power G4. The Superdrive is not functioning - so I am trying to give USB boot a try. The are instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

I am following them... Up to the point where hdiutil has to convert .iso to .dmg:

Convert the .iso file to .img using the convert option of hdiutil (e.g., hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/kubuntu.iso) Note: OS X tends to put the .dmg ending on the output file automatically.

No luck. I am getting the error. Same thing actually happens with the release ISO 9.10. Tried on 2 Macs:

$ hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o out.img lucid-alternate-powerpc.iso
Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…
Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 1)…
Reading Ubuntu 10.04 ppc (Apple_ISO : 2)…
Reading Ubuntu 10.04 ppc (Apple_HFS : 3)…
.................................................. ............................
Usage: hdiutil convert -format <format> -o <outfile> [options] <image>
hdiutil convert -help

With -versbose, I getting the error code 22

DIDiskImageConvertWithDiskImage: converter returned 22

hdiutil: convert: result: 22

Any ideas? How could I make bootable flash?

resurrection!

I'm encountering the same issue. trying to make a bootable USB key and getting the same usage error as above. oddly enough, I successfully converted two 10.10 .iso's to .img's, but two separate 10.04 .iso's have stopped me here.

did you manage to figure it out? thanks for any info.

lookup
March 13th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I guess my inclination now is that it's a sign of a faulty .iso. I just downloaded a new one and the conversion worked fine. it's strange though because the .iso that gave me the usage error burned to a CD and booted just fine.

kagerato
March 13th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I guess my inclination now is that it's a sign of a faulty .iso. I just downloaded a new one and the conversion worked fine. it's strange though because the .iso that gave me the usage error burned to a CD and booted just fine.

You can check the ISO file against the MD5 or SHA-1 hash provided by the same server that you got it from. When they match, there's an extremely high probability than the file is correct.

Here's one example mirror site:

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/DVDs/ubuntu/10.10/release/

Those are the wrong architecture and the DVD ISOs, but it's just an example. See the MD5SUMS , SHA1SUMS, and so forth? Those textfiles have the hashes in them.

The typical console programs used to calculate these hashes are called 'md5sum' and 'sha1sum', respectively. (There are many programs which can do the job, however. You needn't limit yourself to these.)