PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz Crashes

zeug
April 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
I restarted my computer and, when I logged in, Compiz did not seem to have started as it normally does (meaning that the windows did not have title bars and I could not click on the windows to change between them). I tried starting it with
compiz & in a terminal that I evnetually got into and the windows got their title bars came back but none of my Compiz effects were enabled -- I think it just started Metacity. Because of this, I decided to stop GNOME with
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop and reinstall my graphics driver (NViDIA). Restarted GNOME and everything seemed to work as per normal. However, at some point it reverted back to Metacity instead. I started Compiz again but it seems to still revert to Metacity randomly.

Any idea?

Thanks.

lidex
April 4th, 2010, 09:16 AM
In "compizconfig-settings-manager -> window decoration -> command field" make sure you have this value:

/usr/bin/compiz-decorator

In "gconf editor>apps>metacity>general" make sure "compositing_manager is UNchecked.

Also make sure "compizconfig-backend-gconf" is installed and ccsm is configured to use it.

zeug
April 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM
How do I make sure ccsm is configured to use "compizconfig-backend-gconf"?

It has not done this again since my last post. Perhaps it was a one-time thing.

Thanks.

lidex
April 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Open ccsm, click on "Preferences" in the left pane, bottom. Where it says "Backend" in the right pane, select "Gconf Configuration Backend"

zeug
April 6th, 2010, 05:53 PM
All of that is as it should be already.