PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 install issue

nishi40uk
April 2nd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Hi,
I'm a newbie to Linux, and am trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 on an old IBM T21 laptop.
It starts very happily, and I am able to partition the disk & copy the files to the HDD.

However, when it loads the desktop there is an icon for the CD drive ( and install disk). Everything appears to be fine, but I don't see any confirmation of the installation being completed.

The CD drive does not open when the button is pressed.
When I restart the laptop, I get the message 'operating system not found'.

Starting the machine using the CD works fine. The disk shows that the partitions have been created, and I am told that Ubuntu 9.10 is installed.

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

sxmaxchine
April 2nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
have you tried installing it throught the install instead of running the desktop and clicking install.

nishi40uk
April 2nd, 2010, 11:59 PM
Many thanks for your swift response.

Yes, I've tried to install from the initial option screen with the same result.

sxmaxchine
April 3rd, 2010, 12:08 AM
it sounds like it installed try installing the grub bootloader check here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351)

to open the drive try right clicking the drive and clicking eject.

other then this i dont know what your problem is, hope this helps.

nishi40uk
April 3rd, 2010, 12:15 AM
many thanks - I'll give that a try and update this thread with my results.

presence1960
April 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

See here (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) for more info on the boot info script.

Above link is to meierfra's Sourceforge web page.