PDA

View Full Version : What software do you build yourself? (e.g. svn instead of ubuntu package)

bryce123
April 2nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering, if you build software from source on ubuntu, and if yes why?

I always build my own mplayer svn version since i often times benefit from new/left out features, that are not provided by the package. I also build irssi, because i like to help testing.

The rest of the software I use on a daily basis is either a pain to build yourself (firefox) or there are quite recent versions (fluxbox) / extra repositories.

diesch
April 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
I've compiled Emacs myself as I didn't like all the customizations Ubuntu makes there by default. And as I'm a Python programmer I need to install some Python modules that aren't in the repositories every now and then.

lovinglinux
April 2nd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Firefox to improve performance, but I stopped compiling it since I upgraded my CPU from a P4 to a Core 2 Duo.

Irihapeti
April 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
I've compiled some multimedia packages because I wanted codecs not included in the Ubuntu versions, or because the version in the repositories was too old/buggy.

sandyd
April 2nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
kde. I compile it for bug patching reasons. I also compile other apps for bug patching / testing.

bluelamp999
April 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Firefox to improve performance, but I stopped compiling it since I upgraded my CPU from a P4 to a Core 2 Duo.

For those of us on less than current processors I highly recommend compiling Firefox.

I've used LovingLinux's most excellent instructions - http://lovinglinux.megabyet.net/?page_id=220#Compiling-Firefox-1 - to compile Firefox 3 times now (currently rocking 3.6.3!)

It's definitely a very positive upgrade and puts Firefox on an equal footing with Chrome speed wise (at least on a Pentium M 2GHz.)

Edit: I also compile Transmission to always have the latest version.

donkyhotay
April 2nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
I generally only compile games that have out of date packages or I want to modify them myself.

lovinglinux
April 2nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
For those of us on less than current processors I highly recommend compiling Firefox.

I've used LovingLinux's most excellent instructions - http://lovinglinux.megabyet.net/?page_id=220#Compiling-Firefox-1 - to compile Firefox 3 times now (currently rocking 3.6.3!)

It's definitely a very positive upgrade and puts Firefox on an equal footing with Chrome speed wise (at least on a Pentium M 2GHz.)

Edit: I also compile Transmission to always have the latest version.

Yes, the performance gain on single core processors is great.

Thanks for your comments about my tutorial.

bluelamp999
April 2nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks for your comments about my tutorial.

You are most welcome. You are THE Ubuntu Firefox guru!

andrew.46
April 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Hi,

I always compile the svn MPlayer, svn FFmpeg, git x264 and Transmission. The Ubuntu Repositories are just not able to keep up with the pace of development for these...

Andrew

dragos240
April 3rd, 2010, 12:18 AM
Everything. I use gentoo.

Bachstelze
April 3rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
MPlayer, ffmpeg, mkvtoolnix, Python 3, iroffer, and probably a few others I can't remember from the top of my head, I'm not on my Ubuntu machine right now. I also use my own self-compiled x264 packages, so maybe that counts too.

Bachstelze
April 3rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
Everything. I use gentoo.

You don't build it yourself, Portage builds it for you. ;)

Dharmachakra
April 3rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
A sizable number... anything I can't find in the Fedora or RPM Fusion repositories.

dragos240
April 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
You don't build it yourself, Portage builds it for you. ;)

Make.conf?

andrew.46
April 3rd, 2010, 01:19 AM
Mind you if we are talking other distros this is my directory of source code I have compiled under slackware:

andrew@skamandros~/source$ ls
Brother_HL-2140 conky id3lib libnotify opencore-amr vlc
abcde enca id3v2 libtheora openoffice.org vobcopy
acpica faac ladspa_sdk live555 perl w3m
adobe-reader faad2 lame lua scons wxGTK
alsa-lib ffmpeg leafnode mkvtoolnix slackware-13-updates x264
b43-firmware ffmpeg2theora libass mplayer slrn xfce4-power-manager
b43-fwcutter flash-player-plugin libdvdcss mplayer-codecs smplayer yasm
bluefish gc libdvdread msmtp speex
ca_certs gecko-mediaplayer libebml mutt transmission
cd-discid gnome-mplayer libmatroska nero-aac vbox_puel

Mind you I see a few ringins there, the adobe reader, vbox and Nero-aac are repackaged binaries, abcde is a script and vlc + slackware updates are packages...

Andrew

phrostbyte
April 3rd, 2010, 01:22 AM
Too many to count.

Most recent thing was IronPython.