PDA

View Full Version : Choice of OS for tiling WM?

burton247
April 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I know it's an ubuntu forum but lets face it, a lot of people here run more than one OS and some not ubuntu at all. Despite what some people say I like the community here but I'm not sure I want to stick with ubuntu. I use a tiling WM (can't decide between awesome and xmonad), I replace metacity. But with the direction gnome is taking it isn't feasible to do this in the future. So I'm thinking of a base ubuntu install and building base up, but if I'm going to do this would it be better to switch to something like debian?

Just wondered what peoples opinions are, on OS choice or WM choice.

descendent87
April 3rd, 2010, 02:23 AM
I'd choose Debian or Arch for using a tiling window manager, fast and lightweight. Also an added bonus both are rolling release (as long as you use Debian testing or unstable)

RiceMonster
April 3rd, 2010, 02:31 AM
tiling wms will work nicely on any distro.

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 3rd, 2010, 02:52 AM
Concur with Rice. What has OS choice got to do with using a tiling wm?

burton247
April 3rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
It is pretty much out of debian or arch tbh.

I know it'll work on any distro but I don't see the point of using ubuntu unless i do a minimum install. It is irrelevant it's a tiling WM but its not irrelevant that I'm installing a new WM. I could replace the existing WM in a DE, but when they stop developing gnome-panel there will be no point, i don't like KDE and XFCE doesn't have an option to easily change WM away from xfwm.

I suppose I should be more specific and just ask what would be a good ground up distro

falconindy
April 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
I suppose I should be more specific and just ask what would be a good ground up distro
Slackware or Arch should fit your needs. If you're feeling masochistic, check out Exherbo.

burton247
April 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Exherbo

I should probably go with arch, I've done a couple of builds with it before. It's just a little time consuming, well worth it though. I had forgotten about slackware, I can see myself getting boring keeping my system up to date though...

Also, I've heard (well read) people slate BSD init-style scripts. Why is this?

chucky chuckaluck
April 3rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
if you view tiling wms as tools to organize your windows, I can't see how it would matter which OS you use. it only matters if one is concerned with the "more minimal than thou" culture.

burton247
April 3rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
I know

Naiki Muliaina
April 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Has actually got me curious... Is there any tiling WM distros out there? Im currently going through a distro hopping phase, wouldnt mind giving one a go.

burton247
April 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
I wondered this a while ago, not sure if there is tbh. But installing one is easy as anything. Unfortunately, I think there's only WM, no complete desktop environments (at least that I know of) Running awesomeWM is close to a DE as it has a panel, system tray and things.

If you want to try one and your running gnome you can simply replace metacity/compiz.

With xmonad, install it, when in gnome just run

killall metacity && xmonad

Then you can experience one, without changing anything else

Sporkman
April 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
it only matters if one is concerned with the "more minimal than thou" culture.

:lol: