PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Ubuntu 10.04 won't boot after install

veresszem
April 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I have downloaded the Ubuntu 10.04 beta and installed it on my Windows 7 PC using the Install inside Windows option. After reboot, I choose Ubuntu from the boot selection screen. I assume Ubuntu is supposed to start after this, but instead I have a GRUB prompt waiting for input.

GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu1

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>I'm NOT an advanced user of unix like operating systems, so I do not know what to do or expect in this situation. Any help in how to fix this or what to go on with will be greatly appreciated.

Mark Phelps
April 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Since, by your own admission, you're NOT an advanced user, why on earth would you be messing around with a Beta version of an OS?? Those are known to be incomplete, buggy, and unstable.

Furthermore, the Wubi version of 10.04 is still in beta testing mode, too. So, there's a very good chance it will not work.

If you want to follow the Wubi 10.04 progress, go to the following forum: Development & Programming, Lucid Lynx Testing.

However, I would strongly suggest, that as a new Ubuntu user, you replace the Beta with a stable version ... 9.10. You will have far less problems that way.

veresszem
April 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Well, you are right I guess. I wanted to see what new features it can offer compared to carmic, as I'm thinking about migrating from Windows to Linux. However it may be simpler to install a 9.10 and then upgrade to 10.04 from within. Sorry about the hasty thread, my reaction was a bit desperate.