PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Cannot delete file

pac-man
April 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hi guys, I have a folder that is hard (impossible) to delete, it's not about permissions, what happens is that the system tells me this file does not exist at all, but I see the icon there.

Something curious is that this file has a little black square with a "?" inside, I have another file (in the trash can) with this questionmark and guess what.. I cannot delete it either.

I tried logging in directly to the terminal and tried to rm -R and same thing happens, it says file does not exist.

I am using kubuntu 9.10, this is a screenshot of the problem, hope you got a solution for this.

Thanks!

http://o.imm.io/fJ0.jpg

3Miro
April 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
I had this happen to me once, but I don't remember what exactly fixed the problem. If terminal doesn't help, you can try:

- switching off the graphics (Ctr + Alt + F1, but save everything that you are doing). Try deleting this in pule console mode.

- install Nautilus and/or Thunar, those are the default file managers for XFCE and Gnome and they may do what Dolphin cannot. You can also try Krusader and other such options.

- You can try booting from a live CD and use KDE or Gnome directly from the disk. This should do the trick.

I hope one of those works for you.

ajgreeny
April 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Is this a mount folder of an iso file, or something similar?

If it might be, try right clicking and unmounting. I may be quite wrong, but it is a possibility, and something that I had happen to me as long time ago.

You could also just reboot, and if it's a mounted file or folder it should disappear.

2hot6ft2
April 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
Looks like it may be an invalid name. Might try renaming it first then try deleting it.

nem75
April 2nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
The problem seems to be the unknown character in the filename (encoding problem). You can remove the file by its inode number. Here's a nice howto:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/delete-remove-files-with-inode-number.html

2hot6ft2
April 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
The problem seems to be the unknown character in the filename (encoding problem). You can remove the file by its inode number. Here's a nice howto:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/delete-remove-files-with-inode-number.html
Nice find. Bookmarked for future reference.

pac-man
April 13th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I tried to remove it using the inode number, but it replies that it cannot be deleted because it is a folder and not a file.

Note: renaming, replacing, copying, moving, changing permissions, properties or whatever I want to do with this folder is impossible.

Monsieur Gonzalez
April 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hi!
This has happened to me too. I guess something is wrong with the original file encoding. Anyway, what I do when this happens is go to the folder (Descargas in this case) and press f4. That'll bring the terminal window.
In the terminal window :

1 - write "rm -rf" - but don't press enter yet!!!! Now write "Adam" and press Tab button for auto-completion of the folder name.

2 - Double check that's the folder you want to delete. Once you press Enter there's no (easy) going back. Press Enter and (hopefully) the folder is gone.

As to where the problem lies, I cannot really tell, it's only happened to me with some downloaded files.

deconstrained
April 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
What is the type of filesystem that the files you can't delete are on? I've run into this exact same problem before on a JFS volume. You may need to specify to use UTF-8 character encoding in the mount options. Once you do, the problem will be gone.

Open up kterm and enter "man mount". Then press / and type in the name of the filesystem type to search the man page for mount options specific to it. Look for something like "utf8" or "iocharset=utf8". Then, put that in the "mount options" column of your /etc/fstab entry that corresponds to the volume that the files you can't delete are on.

ali_etoom
April 15th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Change the name ur using special character that mean something to the shell or use root privileges by issuing nautilus.

pac-man
April 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM
@Monsieur Gonzalez: Tried that, but when I type the first letters of the folder Adam..bla bla and tap the tab key, nothing comes up, because for the system that folder does not exist at all (even though it is there). However, I didn't know that F4 popped out a terminal inside the nautilus windows, very useful thanks for the tip :)

@Deconstrained: it is EXT4

Monsieur Gonzalez
April 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Ok, so, very carefully, and checking that you're in the right directory (the one called Descargas), fire up the terminal (f4) and type "rm -rf Adam*" (do not type the " ).

By the way, the file manager is not called Nautilus (Gnome) but Dolphin (KDE SC).

Good luck.

rich1842
July 31st, 2012, 10:53 PM
This really does work!

'gksudo nautilus /home/carl/Desktop/' --- example - takes you to where your file/folder is.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1123479

That's where I got it.

wildmanne39
July 31st, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hi, this is an old thread so it has been closed, thanks for sharing.