PDA

View Full Version : Android Cyanogen Mod

HappinessNow
April 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
For those who have rooted their Android phone, what are the benefits that you have found with the Cyanogen Mod?

Dharmachakra
April 2nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Improved speed, root applications, themes, and in my case it unlocked the whole Apple "pinch" to resize option. Plus, it comes with improved versions of the default applications. More options is what it boils down to really. Oh, and wifi-tethering, if you're in to that.

aysiu
April 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
For those who have rooted their Android phone, what are the benefits that you have found with the Cyanogen Mod?
I rooted about a month after buying my phone (MyTouch 3G, aka HTC Magic), and these are the benefits I've experienced: Wireless and USB tether for any platform (you can get tether unrooted for Windows and Mac using PdaNet). Overclock ability. Backported features and icons from newer Android releases. Ability to clean out useless default programs you don't use. Better performance (speed, responsiveness). The bottom line is you aren't restricted in any way. If you're fine being restricted, don't bother rooting. But if any of the apps that require root appeal to you, then you should root.

NoaHall
April 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
I rooted about a month after buying my phone (MyTouch 3G, aka HTC Magic), and these are the benefits I've experienced: Wireless and USB tether for any platform (you can get tether unrooted for Windows and Mac using PdaNet). Overclock ability. Backported features and icons from newer Android releases. Ability to clean out useless default programs you don't use. Better performance (speed, responsiveness). The bottom line is you aren't restricted in any way. If you're fine being restricted, don't bother rooting. But if any of the apps that require root appeal to you, then you should root.

It's a phone. If you need to overclock it to do what you want, get a laptop.

aysiu
April 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
It's a phone. If you need to overclock it to do what you want, get a laptop.
I don't need to overclock it. I just want it to perform the way I want it to perform.

By default, my phone underclocks to 384 MHz, when it can really handle up to 528 MHz.

With the Overclock widget (which is available to rooted Androids only), I can set it to properly clock (not really over) to 528 MHz when I'm using it and then underclock down to 128 MHz when the phone is sleeping.

That way, when I use the phone, I'm getting the maximum performance I can get out of it, and when I'm not using the phone, I save considerably on battery life.

By the way, smartphones really are more like computers than phones... but they're both.

HappinessNow
April 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Improved speed, root applications, themes, and in my case it unlocked the whole Apple "pinch" to resize option. Plus, it comes with improved versions of the default applications. More options is what it boils down to really. Oh, and wifi-tethering, if you're in to that.

Thanks for the feedback, I am pretty comfortable unrooted for now but want to keep all my options open. ;)

celticbhoy
April 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
I don't need to overclock it. I just want it to perform the way I want it to perform.

By default, my phone underclocks to 384 MHz, when it can really handle up to 528 MHz.

With the Overclock widget (which is available to rooted Androids only), I can set it to properly clock (not really over) to 528 MHz when I'm using it and then underclock down to 128 MHz when the phone is sleeping.

That way, when I use the phone, I'm getting the maximum performance I can get out of it, and when I'm not using the phone, I save considerably on battery life.

By the way, smartphones really are more like computers than phones... but they're both.

Where do you find out the info for each phone regarding clock speed? Just got a Hero and was considering rooting for the 2.1 build, but now you have me intrigued about the clock speed.

aysiu
April 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM
Where do you find out the info for each phone regarding clock speed? Just got a Hero and was considering rooting for the 2.1 build, but now you have me intrigued about the clock speed.
The Hero also has a 528 MHz processor:
http://www.htc.com/us/products/hero-sprint#tech-specs

Not sure if it comes underclocked by default or not, though.