PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mysql Start Error

kannanjagadeesan
April 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Experts,

When I type mysql,
vignesh@vignesh:~$ mysql

I get this error.

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

So, I checked whether the file mysqld.sock is there in its respective folder, but I could not find that file.

Kindly tell me how to create the file and start mysql server.

Thanks & Regards,
Kannan

theDaveTheRave
April 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
kannanjagadeesan,

you can't 'create' the mysql.sock file per se, it is created by the mysql daemon when the process starts. I am assuming that you have correctly installed mysql and that it starts up at boot.

to check that the process is running

ps aux | grep mysql

will kick out a report similar to this if it is

root 2928 0.0 0.0 1872 468 ? S 13:19 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe
mysql 2970 0.0 2.8 130720 14112 ? Sl 13:19 0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-external-locking --port=3307 --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

if it doesn't you will need to start the server, you would most likely want the server to run in the background and in safe mode (ie. if or some reason the server crashes it will automatically re-start for you), to start a non running mysql

mysqld_safe &

the & puts the process into the background.

If this is the first time you are running mysql there are a few 'security' things that you need to bear in mind, such as setting a 'non privileged user' for most general duties etc.

So now all you need to do is log in a the root user, and add ion a general user etc etc...

David